Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: What should i get
Satellite Radio
44.44%
I-pod
55.56%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Satellite Radio or I-pod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by trans-am nut
Would it be poss. to hook up the sat. radio and an I-pod, not really interested in it just curious,thanks
Yes, but in that case you would need the X3 adapter to provide the two sets of RCA input jacks and a way to switch between them.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forget that then, lol. This should be my last question on this,lol. How abot the power, will it have power when it's hooked up to the cd changer plug? or do I have to tap into a line somewhere, thanks again
Old 02-15-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get both in one. Why compromise? I'm sure there is a combo out there. Hell my Fusic phone get sirius, xm, MTV, ESPN, Sprint Music, and I have a 2gb card full of 600 MP3's. Plus it has a built in FM transmitter to stream through your radio is you don't have hookups.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, the GM9-AUX (or the X3 for that matter) provide only audio input to the CD changer port on the back of the radio. All other connections (such as power, satellite antenna, etc.) must still be handled separately. Also, the auxiliary adapters use RCA jacks so you will likely have to get a 1/8" mini stereo plug to dual RCA plug adapter cable so that you can connect from the audio output to the adapter. The cable is just a couple of dollars at Radio Shack.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

So what is the best way to hook up power to it?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

So what is the best way to hook up power to it?
I'd just tap into the yellow power wire at the back of the head unit. It has retained accessory power (remains on after shutting off the ignition until you open a door) so your satellite radio will have power whenever the head unit does.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the pictures of my XM setup. The PIE X3 and Ground loop isolator are mounted behind the dash. The PIE unit fits on top of the stock stereo(I have it velcred on).

Old 02-15-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

ipod hands down.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
Here is the pictures of my XM setup. The PIE X3 and Ground loop isolator are mounted behind the dash. The PIE unit fits on top of the stock stereo(I have it velcred on).
I've seen that mount before. It looks great, almost factory. How do you like it? Does it interfere with anything (passenger leg room, glovebox door)?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I've seen that mount before. It looks great, almost factory. How do you like it? Does it interfere with anything (passenger leg room, glovebox door)?
The glovebox door rubs a little on it, but is still completely usable. I haven't sat in the passenger seat much, but haven't had any complaints either. Real tall folks who sit with their knees way up might lose a tiny bit of space there.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
The glovebox door rubs a little on it, but is still completely usable. I haven't sat in the passenger seat much, but haven't had any complaints either. Real tall folks who sit with their knees way up might lose a tiny bit of space there.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it.
Where did you get it? PM me if it's a non-sponsor.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

No, the GM9-AUX (or the X3 for that matter) provide only audio input to the CD changer port on the back of the radio. All other connections (such as power, satellite antenna, etc.) must still be handled separately. Also, the auxiliary adapters use RCA jacks so you will likely have to get a 1/8" mini stereo plug to dual RCA plug adapter cable so that you can connect from the audio output to the adapter. The cable is just a couple of dollars at Radio Shack.
OK, so I will need the gm9-aux adapter,noise suppressor besides the sat radio car kit, right and the rca adapter. the rca adapter steps down the size of the plugs that go into the sat radio, correct? Then the power supply goes to the yellow wire? Just wan't to make sure so I can get everything at the same time, and do it right.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

OK, so I will need the gm9-aux adapter,noise suppressor besides the sat radio car kit, right and the rca adapter. the rca adapter steps down the size of the plugs that go into the sat radio, correct? Then the power supply goes to the yellow wire? Just wan't to make sure so I can get everything at the same time, and do it right.
You may or may not need the ground loop isolator or noise suppressor - some do and some don't (I don't have one on my Sirius setup). The RCA adapter is more like a patch cable. It has a mini plug (like a headphone plug) on one end and a pair of RCA plugs on the other. They come in various lengths (from a few inches to several feet) so you'll have to figure where you're going to mount the satellite radio to be sure you get a long enough cable.

Don't forget a ground connection and the antenna placement and cable routing.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

What about the car instalation kit that sirius offers? Is it better to go with the gm9-aux adapt. anyone try their kit
Old 02-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

SIRIUS Car Installation Kit (SIRPVK1)
DEI SIRPVK1 That is what they call it
Old 02-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I think I just ansewered my own question here. The car kit they offer is the better connection, but using the gm9-aux adapt. is the best according to sirius, also where did you ground evrything to?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Ok, I think I just ansewered my own question here. The car kit they offer is the better connection, but using the gm9-aux adapt. is the best according to sirius, also where did you ground evrything to?
The kit they offer is better than the built-in wireless FM modulator because it connects directly into the antenna cable but it is still FM modulation. It doesn't suffer from the interference and frequency drift of the wireless but its sound quality is the same as a strong local FM station. The GM9-AUX gives you a direct connection to the head unit amp without the translation to FM signal so the sound quality is the best you can get from satellite radio.

You can use the ground wire of the head unit (black) but be careful about how you connect the power. Most Sirius (as well as XM) plug and play units have gone to 5-volt so you can't just connect directly to the 12-volt power in your car.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

The kit they offer is better than the built-in wireless FM modulator because it connects directly into the antenna cable but it is still FM modulation. It doesn't suffer from the interference and frequency drift of the wireless but its sound quality is the same as a strong local FM station. The GM9-AUX gives you a direct connection to the head unit amp without the translation to FM signal so the sound quality is the best you can get from satellite radio.

You can use the ground wire of the head unit (black) but be careful about how you connect the power. Most Sirius (as well as XM) plug and play units have gone to 5-volt so you can't just connect directly to the 12-volt power in your car.

So how do I connect power then?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

So how do I connect power then?
There are a few options but they all boil down to you have to reduce the voltage. The easiest way is to install a cigarette lighter socket behind the dash (it doesn't have to be mounted or anything - just wired up). Then just plug in the power adapter that came with the radio. A somewhat neater way is to find out exactly what voltage is required and buy one of those universal power adapters from Radio Shack or another electronics store then wire it to the car. Also, that "professional installation kit" from Sirius includes the proper power adapter.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

what did you do for your install?