Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Idea for Progressive Doorlock bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea for Progressive Doorlock bypass?

I'm wondering what options I would have if I did this? Like what could I hook up so on the second tap of the door unlock it would activate? I read about the "auto door locks" but what have others done?

Progressive Doorlock bypass

Progressive door locks is a term used for when you hit the unlock button on the remote once to unlock the drivers door and then hit it again to unlock the passenger door.
The following instructions will allow you to unlock both locks on the first press. The second press will give you the abitlity to control anything that can be activated with a pulse.

Under the glovebox You will see a black panel that covers everything above it.
Remove the two clips right at the base of the glovebox, that hold the front side of the panel up, so that the panels hangs down giving you access to the wires above it.
There will be a green plug with five wires (Orange/Black, Red/black, Grey/Black, Tan, Grey).
Unplug the female side (light green) of the harness and cut the grey/black wire. Splice the side going back into the plug with the Tan wire.
The other wire going back into your car is now the extra channel.
Remember this wire sends a +12volt pulse, not a constant signal. Also remember to use a relay for high amperage draw applications.

Last edited by SPECIALIZED STAINLESS; 11-28-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

The most common use for the "second channel" is to automatically roll down the windows. This can be done after adding a DEI 520T or similar window control module. You wouldn't want most of the other accessories that can be triggered by a pulse to be activated when the doors are unlocked (e.g. remote start).

The new "second channel" created by the progressive door lock mod has one big disadvantage - the pulse created by the second press of the unlock button on the remote is also generated by pressing the inside door unlock buttons. So, with the auto roll down setup, if you were driving along and accidentally hit the unlock button both your windows would go down.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The most common use for the "second channel" is to automatically roll down the windows. This can be done after adding a DEI 520T or similar window control module. You wouldn't want most of the other accessories that can be triggered by a pulse to be activated when the doors are unlocked (e.g. remote start).

The new "second channel" created by the progressive door lock mod has one big disadvantage - the pulse created by the second press of the unlock button on the remote is also generated by pressing the inside door unlock buttons. So, with the auto roll down setup, if you were driving along and accidentally hit the unlock button both your windows would go down.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info
Old 04-08-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

just as a heads up, i followed these instructions yesterday and succesfully blew two 'courtesty' 20A fuses before determining the instructions are exactly wrong (at least for my 98 car, and i can't see how it would be right for another year)

the cut black/grey wire GOING TO THE CAR should splice into the tan wire. the extra channel is the left over wire GOING TO THE PLUG

also this 'green plug' is just one plug that connects to a big black module in the most uppper right section under the panel. it is not a separate male/female plug pair.

Originally Posted by toofazt
I'm wondering what options I would have if I did this? Like what could I hook up so on the second tap of the door unlock it would activate? I read about the "auto door locks" but what have others done?

Progressive Doorlock bypass

Progressive door locks is a term used for when you hit the unlock button on the remote once to unlock the drivers door and then hit it again to unlock the passenger door.
The following instructions will allow you to unlock both locks on the first press. The second press will give you the abitlity to control anything that can be activated with a pulse.

Under the glovebox You will see a black panel that covers everything above it.
Remove the two clips right at the base of the glovebox, that hold the front side of the panel up, so that the panels hangs down giving you access to the wires above it.
There will be a green plug with five wires (Orange/Black, Red/black, Grey/Black, Tan, Grey).
Unplug the female side (light green) of the harness and cut the grey/black wire. Splice the side going back into the plug with the Tan wire.
The other wire going back into your car is now the extra channel.
Remember this wire sends a +12volt pulse, not a constant signal. Also remember to use a relay for high amperage draw applications.