Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

DEH-P780MP Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEH-P780MP Reviews?

Anybody have any info on this head unit. I want to make sure I'm buying somthing with some quality that will wrok great. Also becasue it has 4 channel (50X4 peak) how will it connect with the six speakers the TA has? Will this be enough to power the speakers or should i consider a small amp?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

What stock stereo? Monsoon?
If so, you can replace the headunit with just about any other easily.
The Monsoon headunit is just a regular gm headunit unit that outputs 4ch speaker outputs to the Monsoon amp that splits and amplifiles the output to the other speakers.

Read the stickies about installation:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/303776-frequently-asked-questions.html
Specifically: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....20&postcount=5
Old 12-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Banned

Sounds like a Pioneer deck.

I don't like thier subs, and thier speakers are somewhat 'weak', but Pioneer make some of the best Head units money can buy.

I have a 7500MP3, (has the streetbikes racing, dragons and blimps) and I love it.
The best thing about Pioneer are the features, and you need a deck like this to properly tune and adjust a powerful system.
My Pioneer is going on 5 years old, and it still looks great, and plays CD's and MP3's CD
s flawlessly.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
What stock stereo? Monsoon?
If so, you can replace the headunit with just about any other easily.
The Monsoon headunit is just a regular gm headunit unit that outputs 4ch speaker outputs to the Monsoon amp that splits and amplifiles the output to the other speakers.

Read the stickies about installation:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303776
Specifically: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....20&postcount=5
I was wondering about the Headunit quality to but, I'm not sure if i have monsoon or not. I've read the only way to tell is if the amp is in the spare tire well. I don't have that amp. It may have been removed my the previous owner for to drop weight along with A/C and other parts but I am not sure. Lets say I don't have the Monsoon deck, what are my options then? I was considering one 10" sub hidden in the back, maybe like a 800W peak, could i get a 2 channel 1600W amp and send the 2nd channel to power speakers? Or maybe two separate amps for the speakers/sub.

My concern is that I have quality parts that wont break, and that I can get the system to function correctly. I want good sound quality but I'm more into prefomance; I dont need a competition sound system.

Also for installation I plan on using the kit from Humount.com so all I will need is the Antena Adaptor, and the wire harness correct?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:43 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1IMPULSE
Anybody have any info on this head unit. I want to make sure I'm buying somthing with some quality that will wrok great. Also becasue it has 4 channel (50X4 peak) how will it connect with the six speakers the TA has? Will this be enough to power the speakers or should i consider a small amp?
I assume you mean the 7800 model (not 780). I have the 7800 in my car, its a really nice unit. Its the best head unit I have ever owned. I have a convertible so for top down driving I use a 2 channel amp on the door speakers. For a coupe the head unit power will be pretty good unless you want some real bass. The stock speakers run out of excursion pretty easily, even on head unit power. You will need to set the front and rear high pass filters up to about 100 Hz to keep the speakers from crapping out at high volumes. At moderate volume (with loudness turned on) it should sound fine. You will soon find yourself wanting better speakers.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

I have the 7800 MP and it is a nice stereo

Issues
I have with it are, its hard to read during the day, cause I have no tint
(I had to have mine removed cause a bracket in the door made to align the windows was tearing up the tint)
Second the cover art feature is a pain in the *** to use. You have to use the pioneer software to make the cover art and then make a playlist associated with the cover art for it to display with the correct music
Third the headunit could use more buttons, I highly recommend getting the steering wheel control module to have more control. Otherwise you have to navigate through the menus for some functions such as mute.
Next I find some of the icons on the display can be annoying, although you can probably download new ones from pioneer.
Finally sometimes when driving an using the multi control ****, it will not always do what you want (well at least in my car, my suspension is like a rock)

Also make sure to get a flush mounting kit, I had crutchfield send me one after I installed the headunit with the included bracket and it stuck out almost an inch

But on the otherhand, I really like the headunit, and it looks great, it has tons of features, the display looks incredible, it reproduces sound so much better than the monsoon, the motorized display and detachable face work well and its easy to remove the face,
and for the cost I do not think their is a better unit

I personally did not like the appearance of the kenwood with the cheesy display, and the alpine at the same price only sported 2 V preamps
although its has a very cool display

Quick Reply: DEH-P780MP Reviews?