Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dual Voice Coil 6 1/2's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006 | 10:05 PM
Teching In

Default Dual Voice Coil 6 1/2's?

The factory speakers located in the backseat of my 2000 TA (monsoon stereo) are basically shredded. So I took them out only to find they had dual voice coils. I always thought that was for bigger subs. My question is, can I get away with replacing them with a regular single coil, and if so, should I get a two-way, or just stick with the single speaker. I've heard those particular amp channels have a low pass filter, so the added tweeter would just be pointless. And if it IS better to have the dual coil, where can I get one. I can't find them anywhere for sale! Thanks.

Last edited by Lyric403; 12-25-2006 at 10:09 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 12-25-2006 | 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmm, you have any pictures of this? If it had DVC's then there would be 4 pins/posts for the + and - for each voice coil.
Old 12-26-2006 | 09:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

Yes, you can replace the sail panel subs with SVC speakers. The signal at the sail panel is filtered so there is no point installing coax speakers unless you rewire - the tweeters won't do anything.

DVC speakers generally can handle more power than the equivalent SVC speaker. This doesn't necessarily make them good speakers - look at the factory subs. Although the DVC subs in Firebirds are somewhat better than the SVC subs in Camaros, I wouldn't call them "good".
Old 12-26-2006 | 10:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
Hmmmm, you have any pictures of this? If it had DVC's then there would be 4 pins/posts for the + and - for each voice coil.
I could take pictures of them, but I don't know how to post pics on here. But yes. There are four connections.
Old 12-26-2006 | 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, you can replace the sail panel subs with SVC speakers. The signal at the sail panel is filtered so there is no point installing coax speakers unless you rewire - the tweeters won't do anything.

DVC speakers generally can handle more power than the equivalent SVC speaker. This doesn't necessarily make them good speakers - look at the factory subs. Although the DVC subs in Firebirds are somewhat better than the SVC subs in Camaros, I wouldn't call them "good".
Thanks for the info whitebird. That's exactly what I needed to know!
Old 12-26-2006 | 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

I had mine rebuilt at a speaker shop, in case anyone cares.
Old 12-26-2006 | 04:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
I had mine rebuilt at a speaker shop, in case anyone cares.
Rebuilt? Why would you want do do that? Your joking........right?!
Old 12-26-2006 | 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Yeap I had them rebuilt. My friend onwed the shop at the time and did them for nothing and quick.
Old 12-26-2006 | 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lyric403
Rebuilt? Why would you want do do that? Your joking........right?!
Because there really isnt anything out there that is any louder than that, they are subwoofers, just smaller. I dont know why you would replace them with a regular speaker because there are 8 others throughout the car.
Old 12-27-2006 | 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hawk_479
Because there really isnt anything out there that is any louder than that, they are subwoofers, just smaller. I dont know why you would replace them with a regular speaker because there are 8 others throughout the car.
They are sub-woofers in name only. True, they are the closest thing the Monsoon has to subs, but they are midbasses. And marginal ones at that, by all reports.

Having never heard the stock T/A system, I can't really compare how they sound compared to my old stock Camaro speakers. But, I really like my Pioneer Premier TS-M7PRS's I replaced them with.

(Note: I use the stock HU, Amp, and wiring with all aftermarket speakers)