Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring mp3 player into stock unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring mp3 player into stock unit

whats up everyone, as the title says i would like to wire my mp3 player or have an input for my mp3 player into the aux channel on my camaro's head unit, how would i go about doing this. to me it seems really simple but just thought i'd ask before i started ripping stuff apart.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

You can use a PIE GM9-AUX to convert the CD-Changer port into RCA AUX-IN.

I got mine from http://www.myradiostore.com/
Old 12-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another less expensive option and easier to install option is an FM modulator. Nothing to install and just plugs into your cigarette lighter or 12volt power outlet. Tune it to the station it says and turn it on. I have one on my XM system and it sounds great. Some of the earlier ones had sound quality issues. I also use one with my memory stick (2gig) for MP3's. The one I have sounds good and I can take it with me and put it any car...wifes, rental, whatever. Just another option.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i have a fm tuner and i don't really like it. so the back of the unit has thoes 5 prong connectors? that sucks i though they were another kind.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Another less expensive option and easier to install option is an FM modulator. Nothing to install and just plugs into your cigarette lighter or 12volt power outlet. Tune it to the station it says and turn it on. I have one on my XM system and it sounds great. Some of the earlier ones had sound quality issues. I also use one with my memory stick (2gig) for MP3's. The one I have sounds good and I can take it with me and put it any car...wifes, rental, whatever. Just another option.
Some of them have worse sound problems than others but they ALL have sound problems. Since they broadcast a weak FM signal you are bound to get interference from local FM stations unless you live in a very rural area. Also, they tend to introduce white noise (static) into the signal - it's just a fact of life with FM broadcasting.

You may not be able to use the GM9-AUX with your 99. The CD head units didn't get the ability to control an external changer (or aux adapter) until late in the 99 model year so it would be a bit of a crap shoot in your case whether it would work or not. If you have a cassette head unit then the adapter will work or you can just get a good cassette adapter for under $20.

Another option is a wired FM modulator. These are not the same as the wireless FM modulators - these plug directly into the antenna cable. This has the advantage of eliminating the weak broadcast of the wireless modulators and it also eliminates interference because it disconnects the original AM/FM antenna while in use.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You may not be able to use the GM9-AUX with your 99.
I forgot to mention that.

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Another option is a wired FM modulator. These are not the same as the wireless FM modulators - these plug directly into the antenna cable. This has the advantage of eliminating the weak broadcast of the wireless modulators and it also eliminates interference because it disconnects the original AM/FM antenna while in use.
I had one in my car and still got some interference. The inteference also changed FM frequency and intensity depending on where I drove so I couldn't just leave it set to one FM frequency.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIP1
You can use a PIE GM9-AUX to convert the CD-Changer port into RCA AUX-IN.

I got mine from http://www.myradiostore.com/
Would we then need an RCA->headphone jack cord?
Old 12-30-2006, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Looks like it...but you can get those anywhere for really cheap.

I've got an IRIVER Wireless FM Modulator and it works GREAT. $30 on ebay brand new. No static whatsoever, you just have to adjust the volume on the mp3 player and headunit to get the best sound without static. I'd highly recommend it though.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:13 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Yes it would.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by VIP1
I had one in my car and still got some interference. The inteference also changed FM frequency and intensity depending on where I drove so I couldn't just leave it set to one FM frequency.
Yeah, I've seen that myself. It seems that not all wired modulators are created equal. Some have better components than others and some actually cut out the factory antenna while others don't. I've had units that were hardly better than a wireless modulator but then I had one that was so effective you could use the frequency of a local station (strong signal) and still not get interference. Believe it or not, the one made for the XM Roady is one of the most effective (except it won't work with anything but a Roady).
Old 12-30-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so can i get some examples of good wired fm modulators? basically you plug in the mp3 player and turn it on and it cuts into antenna signal and it's like a perfect signal?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by kozak
so can i get some examples of good wired fm modulators? basically you plug in the mp3 player and turn it on and it cuts into antenna signal and it's like a perfect signal?
Well, not perfect...more like a very strong local FM station. There just isn't enough bandwidth in the FM modulation to give you CD quality sound.

A quick search has turned up some good wired modulators at Crutchfield (Scosche) and AutoToys. The Scosche has an external power switch rather than automatically switching when it gets signal from the MP3 player. The one at AutoToys doesn't specify brand but the gain crontrol can be worth its weight in gold and it has the automatic switching.