Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Confusing issue where my stock head unit reverts to fm radio from Aux input

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the monsoon system in a camaro, where the amp powers everything i bet you could wire the laptop striaght to the monsoon amp
Old 04-15-2007, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In one of your first post you said you had to reach back behind the bezel and switch the aux ( pres a switch)? Is this adapter settling and causing it to switch from a wire hitting it or somoething?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
A weak battery can cause wierd problems. I had no trouble starting or any other symptoms of a bad battery but my auto-dimming rear view mirror would sometimes work and sometimes not. You can tell because there's a little green light on the mirror - sometimes it would be on when I started the car and sometimes it wouldn't be on. After I replaced the battery the problem went away and I haven't seen it since. You can get your battery load-tested for free at several auto parts stores like AutoZone or Advance Auto.
Thanks for the info. I think I will take it down to AutoZone tomorrow and see if it passes their little tests. The battery fixing your little quark gives me some hope .

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
if you have the monsoon system in a camaro, where the amp powers everything i bet you could wire the laptop striaght to the monsoon amp
If you could elaborate on this more and/or give me an example of what you're talking about that would fantastic. I believe the problem is that the amp takes speaker level inputs and my laptop can't provide that.

Originally Posted by iosigmaIn
one of your first post you said you had to reach back behind the bezel and switch the aux ( pres a switch)? Is this adapter settling and causing it to switch from a wire hitting it or somoething?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by settling, but the adapter is sitting on top of the head unit. I have everything held in place with velcro.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I PMed you
Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Welp, last Wednesday I went to AutoZone and they tested by batter and it was only giving 10 cranking volts. I had them put a new one in and I haven't had the problem since.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3 Q's for ya guys!

1.) Where did you guys buy the GM9-AUX adapter?
2.) How much was it?
3.) Wouldn't an AUX to AUX cord be fine to use to connect the sat reciever to the head unit or does it have to be this GM9-AUX part that i NEED to buy?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
3 Q's for ya guys!

2.) How much was it?
3.) Wouldn't an AUX to AUX cord be fine to use to connect the sat reciever to the head unit or does it have to be this GM9-AUX part that i NEED to buy?
1. Available at numerous online sites including eBay. Google "GM9-AUX" (the quotes are necessary because of the dash) to find vendors.
2. Retails for $100, available for under $70.
3. This is more than just a cable. The adapter has to fool the head unit into thinking an external CD changer is connected. There are other brands available (PAC, USA Spec) but the PIE GM9-AUX is the most popular. For example, the PAC adapter requires an installed CD changer in order to work - the PIE adapter doesn't.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Gotcha!!!

This stereo/electronics stuff makes me feel like a lil bitch!!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
3 Q's for ya guys!

2.) How much was it?
Check out my installation:
http://www.fadingarrow.com/XMSatelliteRadio.htm
(The receiver is not visible like in the photos. Its hidden in the spare tire well.)
Old 04-24-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Nice!....That helps out allot. Thanx!