Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Will these work with monsoon system

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will these work with monsoon system

I have 2 sets of speakers.

Will these work:

Pioneer TS-A1653
140W Max

Pioneer TS-A1665
180W Max

I'm trying to retain the stock monsoon head unit so I guess I would use stock wiring
Old 01-08-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't know for sure as there is not much info on them anymore. The TS-A1665's show up a 2001 speakers. Can't find the others on the Pioneer website. Unless you mean the TS-C1653 component sets instead of the TS-A1653 coaxials.

What you want for a drop-in replacement in the doors, is a highly efficient 6.5" or 6.75" speaker. The Monsoon amplifier doesn't put out a great deal of power (500W peak divided by 8 channels, although the majority of that likely goes to the 4 woofers).
So a speaker with high sensitivity is required to put out enough sound at these lower power levels.

The Monsoon system has seperate wires for tweeters and woofers, with the woofer signals low-passed in the amplifier. You'll want either a coaxial 2-way design that has seperate tweeter and woofer inputs (such as Infinity KAPPA 62.7i's) or are easily modded for seperate inputs (like the Alpine SPS-17C2's). Or a component set that can be mounted concentrically, like coaxial speakers. Of course there is no reason you can't mount the tweeters elsewhere. Your Pioneers might work if they can modded to accept seperate inputs.

The sail panel speakers, like the door woofers, only receive bass and midbass frequencies. You could try your Pioneers back here, just remember that you are not going to get anything from the tweeters (or much from the mids on the 3-way). Some people have used full range speakersback here by bringing forward the wires from the rear hatch speakers. Again, you'll want to be able to hook up the woofers seperately in the original sail speaker wires and run the rear hatch wires to the tweets/mids.

Personally, I use the following speakers in my SS:

Doors: Alpine SPS-170A's (SPS-17C2's are new model number for this speaker)

Sails: Pioneer Premier TS-M7PRS Midbasses

Hatch: Alpine SPS-100A's (or SPS-10C2's now)
Old 01-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Yes they will work, but they will not have as much power available to them because they are a 4 ohm speaker and not a 2 ohm.

You know you can put in an after market deck with the stock wiring on a Monsoon system right? Most of the poor sound and terrible quality is from the Monsoon head unit and not the speakers and amp.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I know that swapping out the deck will help a great deal. My problem with that is, every deck I eer see looks tacky imo. I like the look of the stock headunit.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Launching!

You could always hide it in your glove box and just keep your stocker mounted but not hooked up.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

That would be sneaky, but tons of work lol. When I get some spare cash I'm going to put speakers in the car. All the go fast parts put me in a good hole. Thanks for your help though
Old 01-09-2007, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Can somebody find some 2ohm speakers for me. It would be great if they were from Bestbuy becuase i have some gift cards to burn. I need them for the door speakers for my monsoon im my 96 T/A. I looked and everything was 4ohm.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same I could never find 2 ohm speakers
Old 01-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by purepwrta
Can somebody find some 2ohm speakers for me. It would be great if they were from Bestbuy becuase i have some gift cards to burn. I need them for the door speakers for my monsoon im my 96 T/A. I looked and everything was 4ohm.
I have no record of the Monsoon system ever being offered in 96. There was a 10-speaker systems with amp that was very similar but wasn't Monsoon. What option code do you have?

In any case, it is not necessary to get 2-ohm speakers - just get efficient 4-ohm speakers and they will work fine. There are dozens of threads on the subject with differing opinions on which speakers are best but the main contenders seem to be Infinity, Alpine, and Pioneer. The Infinities are very bright sounding so you may not like them (some people do, some don't). Anyway, have a look at some of the threads to get a feel for what might fit your taste and type of music. Then take your favorite CD to the store and listen to them yourself before spending your money.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Divergent Lightning
Yes they will work, but they will not have as much power available to them because they are a 4 ohm speaker and not a 2 ohm.

You know you can put in an after market deck with the stock wiring on a Monsoon system right? Most of the poor sound and terrible quality is from the Monsoon head unit and not the speakers and amp.

You really need to forget your 2 ohm bias. There is nothing magical about a 2 ohm speaker that ensures it's going to either be louder or sound better than a 4 ohm speaker. Yes, it will draw more current, hence more power, but electrical power is not the same as sound power. Coil impedance says nothing about a speaker's ability to convert electrical signals into sound waves. So, by itself, it doesn't tell you how loud the speaker will be.

Last edited by HiTechGent; 01-10-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I have no record of the Monsoon system ever being offered in 96. There was a 10-speaker systems with amp that was very similar but wasn't Monsoon. What option code do you have?

In any case, it is not necessary to get 2-ohm speakers - just get efficient 4-ohm speakers and they will work fine. There are dozens of threads on the subject with differing opinions on which speakers are best but the main contenders seem to be Infinity, Alpine, and Pioneer. The Infinities are very bright sounding so you may not like them (some people do, some don't). Anyway, have a look at some of the threads to get a feel for what might fit your taste and type of music. Then take your favorite CD to the store and listen to them yourself before spending your money.
Oh then yea i have the 10 speaker/amp option, i always just thought it was the monsoon. I listen to alot of rap music and some oldies/rock music so i need a speaker with some bass. So with my system i can put a 4ohm in and get great sound compared to putting a 4ohm in with the real monsoon where i heard it doesnt get as loud?

Quick Reply: Will these work with monsoon system