Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: I have/had... (note: choose two if you have used both stock/aftermarket amps on them)
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by the stock amp and am/was pleased with the results.
13.79%
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by stock amp and am/was NOT pleased with the results.
10.34%
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by an aftermarket amp and am/was pleased with the results.
6.90%
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by aftermarket amp and am/was NOT pleased with the results.
3.45%
been considering this upgrade.
82.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

INSTALL GUIDE (w/ pics): upgrading factory Monsoon subs with 6.5" ones (ED eu700s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the video. the amount of bass the speakers put out is hard to tell by the video...since the sound is coming out of my laptop speakers. but you can tell by all the vibration that the speakers are really pushing some sound.

fccs, did you use any sound suppression material?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, nothing just bolted them in after I cutout the back to make them fit. I figured alot of people wouldn't be able to tell by the speakers, thats why I tried to get the vibration points. Pretty damn good for only 6.5inch.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Teching In

I am in the middle of doing this install right now... one good is do not use plastic rings that you get from Best Buy. I had quite a bit of trimming to do before I was able to get the speakers to fit, and the sail panel is touching the rubber ring that covers the metal mounting ring on the outside.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:30 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just got done installing the driver's side speaker and am very pleased. A while ago, my factory 'subs' started rattling bad. I have a jl-stealthbox, so it wasn't to noticable, but as time went on, the noise got worse. I finally just disconnected them to eliminate the noise. I saw the e3.6's on sale and decided to jump on the deal. I have the older eu700 as it replaced a factory powered subwoofer in my old explorer and was pleased with the results, so I knew the e3.6's wouldn't dissapoint.

I decided to simply trim the extra sheetmetal behind the speaker to get the sub to fit without a spacer. I sealed up the opening with some adhesive backed foam around the edge. Turned on the stereo and of course the 10" sub was hiding the sound, so I disconnected that and had a listen to the ed3.6 on it's own and was quite happy with it. Once I get the passenger side installed, it'll be a nice addition to the stealthbox. Could you get away with just these, sure, and you'd be pretty happy for a factory setup. I'm contemplating putting a pair of them in my Saab 9-3 on the back shelf instead of having a sub box. Will it 'pound', no, but it will sound good.

For $80, I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I just got done installing the driver's side speaker and am very pleased. A while ago, my factory 'subs' started rattling bad. I have a jl-stealthbox, so it wasn't to noticable, but as time went on, the noise got worse. I finally just disconnected them to eliminate the noise. I saw the e3.6's on sale and decided to jump on the deal. I have the older eu700 as it replaced a factory powered subwoofer in my old explorer and was pleased with the results, so I knew the e3.6's wouldn't dissapoint.

I decided to simply trim the extra sheetmetal behind the speaker to get the sub to fit without a spacer. I sealed up the opening with some adhesive backed foam around the edge. Turned on the stereo and of course the 10" sub was hiding the sound, so I disconnected that and had a listen to the ed3.6 on it's own and was quite happy with it. Once I get the passenger side installed, it'll be a nice addition to the stealthbox. Could you get away with just these, sure, and you'd be pretty happy for a factory setup. I'm contemplating putting a pair of them in my Saab 9-3 on the back shelf instead of having a sub box. Will it 'pound', no, but it will sound good.

For $80, I don't think you can go wrong.
why did you upgrade if you already have a subwoofer in your car?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:01 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluck
why did you upgrade if you already have a subwoofer in your car?
Good question. Beleive it or not, but it sounds 'fuller' with having the sail panel subs working than not. The factory subs were toasted, so instead of just disconnecting them, I used these to replace them.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone know where you can buy the e3.6 still? Looks like its discontinued on their website
Old 08-18-2011, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Hard item to find nowadays, but I have a pair BNIB (only one box opened) I'd prob sell. Pretty hard up for money and selling a lot of my stereo equipment. Mine are the new black carbon fiber design too, it's much sweeter than the silver with logo. PM me if interested.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Hey all, new here, just got my first F-body, a 2000 Firehawk. Anyway, one of my subs is toast and I've been following this thread (thank you for the write-up). If you e-mail Brett at Elemental Designs (brettb@elementaldesigns.com) he has a few b-stock units of the e3.6 D4 subs for sale at 50 bucks apiece. I just ordered 2, 7 bucks to ship them both. I look forward to the upgrade
Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Teching In

i did this install this weekend. i had the subs laying around.
first i ran them on the stock deck, then i ran them on a aftermarket still though the monsoon amp.
i made the spacers just under 1/2" i didn't feel comfortable cutting into the thick support behind the subs.
also after i made my spacers, i drilled the hole a little bigger, used different screw retainers with longer screws. so the screw goes though the sub, though the spacer and into the retainer. really easy to install.
they sounded ok though the stock deck, way better though the aftermarket. at some point i will run a separate amp because i have no real control of just the subs,
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 AM

i have a 2000 firebird formula and going to replace the subs with 6.5 kickers. Both sides have 4 wires and both different colors.Driver side-dark blue with white stripe,light green with black stripe,tan, and white.Passenger side-light blue with black stripe,dark green,tan,and red.CAN someone PLEASE tell me how im going to hook them up!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by snowsk8ter93
i have a 2000 firebird formula and going to replace the subs with 6.5 kickers. Both sides have 4 wires and both different colors.Driver side-dark blue with white stripe,light green with black stripe,tan, and white.Passenger side-light blue with black stripe,dark green,tan,and red.CAN someone PLEASE tell me how im going to hook them up!
First read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section. The wire colors are listed there along with lots of other useful information. Then, since you didn't get the correct dual voice coil sub to match the Monsoon configuration, pick a pair on each side to connect to your subs (it doesn't matter which pair - just make sure both wires are from the same pair) and tape off the unused pair on each side. That's a 50% loss of power but it will work. DO NOT connect both pairs to a single set of speaker terminals.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

Good information here. I was sure I needed to wire my Audiopipes in parallel but I was wrong. Thanks

Last edited by IrbyBocksnick; 07-12-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Quick Reply: INSTALL GUIDE (w/ pics): upgrading factory Monsoon subs with 6.5" ones (ED eu700s)