Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sail Panel speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sail Panel speakers

I've still got the stock monsoon amp in the car, but new Alpine 9856 h/u, alpine sps-170a's in the front doors, kicker 04ssmb6 in the sails, and a jl audio 10w3 in a stealthbox. I keep blowing the kickers and need a good sail panel speaker. I dont turn the bass up at all and they keep blowing. I've seen some good stuff about the audiobahn AMD6Q's, and am open to any and all suggestions. Would like to not spend more than $150 on them. Also, would it be worth my time/sound quality to rewire the car and bypass the stock monsoon amp?? If I do this, what gauge wire should I use and do I just run new wires from each speaker to the back of the head unit?? Also, would the headunit have enough power to power the door and sail panel speakers?? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HU and amp would be near the same for the front doors -- sail panels are far better off with the factory amp. I would run new wires to the doors (or amp them separately if you want).

Might want to look at eu700s by Elemental Designs ( elementaldesigns.com ) (or whatever 6.5" sub/midbass), or maybe some higher end midbass drivers....but I'd be careful since you keep blowing sails and you aren't sure why..
Old 01-31-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking that its due to the distortion from the monsoon amp. I'm not an audio person myself, but thats the only thing i can think of. Anyone else care to help?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by LS1_Unleashed
I am thinking that its due to the distortion from the monsoon amp. I'm not an audio person myself, but thats the only thing i can think of. Anyone else care to help?
Not unless you're cranking it way beyond the capabilities of the amp. The Monsoon amp is actually pretty good and doesn't produce significant distortion - certainly not enough to blow speakers unless you're regularly running it into clipping range. Clipping occurs when the amp is incapable of producing the signal amplitude required for the selected volume. The amp cuts off, or clips, the top and bottom of the signal wave. This causes a sudden signal change that is damaging to speakers.