Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

System Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System Help

I am looking into switching up my whole system now.. I used to own a V6 Camaro and I put 2 12" Audiobahn subs in there since it was more of a showy car.. When I bought my Z28 I put the subs into it but now I don't want them in there.. I need help with what I want to do.. I want to get rid of the subs..

I want to have like maybe a 3 way speaker in the door and put a mid in the back seat to get some bass and just use the stock hatch speakers.. Would I be able to take out the stock monsoon amp and somehow wire up all the speakers to the headunit or something? I just want a nice sounding system without all the huge subs..

I have a aftermarket headunit now as well.. Could someone help me out?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't want 3 way speakers. The "supertweeter" does nothing but make music sound horrid. A good set of coaxials, like Image Dynamics or Alpine, and you'd be better off.

Don't know why you'd want to wire the speakers to the deck, as it probably creates a lot less power than the Monsoon amp, even if you're using different impedance speakers with the Monsoon amp. Most decks are only rated at 12-18w RMS per channel, at 4 channels.

You can have a nice sounding system with one sub - a Koda in a sealed box in the back. It'd fit in the cd changer area on the left, and will sound infinitely better than anything Audiobahn has or ever will make. It'll give you plenty of low-end while remaining musical, not take up a whole lot of space, and require only a small amp for power.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Element
You don't want 3 way speakers. The "supertweeter" does nothing but make music sound horrid. A good set of coaxials, like Image Dynamics or Alpine, and you'd be better off.

Don't know why you'd want to wire the speakers to the deck, as it probably creates a lot less power than the Monsoon amp, even if you're using different impedance speakers with the Monsoon amp. Most decks are only rated at 12-18w RMS per channel, at 4 channels.

You can have a nice sounding system with one sub - a Koda in a sealed box in the back. It'd fit in the cd changer area on the left, and will sound infinitely better than anything Audiobahn has or ever will make. It'll give you plenty of low-end while remaining musical, not take up a whole lot of space, and require only a small amp for power.
I don't want a sub.. No need really.. So could I keep 1 of my amps (I have 2) and just wire it up to the HU so that I can run my 4 speakers off it? Or would it be worth it just to wire it up to the stock monsoon? Right now I have a 400 watt Audiobahn amp.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're willing to use speaker spacers and non-stock speaker grills and amp your fronts (bonus: biamp using an active crossover and a 4-channel amp), an Adire Audio Extremis 6.4 should get you some good bass.

Custom 3-ways can be good, like with say an 6.5/8", 3.5" and tweeter... The bigger the speaker and the higher the frequency, the more you get an effect called "beaming" where the sound out of a speaker doesn't really spread out. This happens quite a bit with 6.5" 2-way systems, even though the drivers can technically produce the frequencies they need to. Though this can be mostly cured with crossover magic, though that means a big drop in sensitivity or biamping/active crossover.

But anyway, the "triaxial" 3-way speakers are terrible. Also, Audiobahn is terrible.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dragonrage
If you're willing to use speaker spacers and non-stock speaker grills and amp your fronts (bonus: biamp using an active crossover and a 4-channel amp), an Adire Audio Extremis 6.4 should get you some good bass.

Custom 3-ways can be good, like with say an 6.5/8", 3.5" and tweeter... The bigger the speaker and the higher the frequency, the more you get an effect called "beaming" where the sound out of a speaker doesn't really spread out. This happens quite a bit with 6.5" 2-way systems, even though the drivers can technically produce the frequencies they need to. Though this can be mostly cured with crossover magic, though that means a big drop in sensitivity or biamping/active crossover.

But anyway, the "triaxial" 3-way speakers are terrible. Also, Audiobahn is terrible.
I think the original poster was referring to 3-way coaxials. 3-way coaxials are mostly garbage. As the above poster said 3-way COMPONENTS (seperate speakers) are a much better option. If you do not want a sub in your system, I would bridge your 4 channel amp to 2 channel, and buy a nice 3-way component set that uses an 8" as the midbass. The 8" can be fit in the front door with some custom work. The midrange (usually 4") can be mounted in kickpanels (make your own or buy them from Q-logic) and the tweeters mounted on the front windshield pillars as far forward as possible. No speakers in the rear. All you need is a accurate sound stage in front of you. Good 3-way component systems are made by Dynaudio, Focal, and JL. Maybe Element can expand on this.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal preference on 3-way component setups are those DIY setups, using Vifa or Peerless. I don't know a huge amount about "big name" 3 way component setups, but Focal and JL are both good, if expensive.

The major problem with 3-way component setups is properly imaging them. Lots of people have issues imaging a 2-way component setup properly, and without a lot of practice and tweaking, a 3 way could be a real bitch to get right..
Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

See I wanna make my system simple.. Just some nice sounding speakers. I don't really want to get into the component things.. A better than stock, but not high end, system is what I want..