Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

(searched) Little help with PAC SWI-X and my deck..

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007 | 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Default (searched) Little help with PAC SWI-X and my deck..

The problem is I want my steering wheel controls to work with my new head unit as you guys probablly already know, Well the problem is with my deck, I went on crutchfield and entered my vehicle info and my deck info well when i tried to match it to this device it said there are no matches for your vehicle and setup. So im curiouse if it will still work and the web site is incorrect or am i screwed? or an alternate route, Thanks in advance for all of your input!

-Chris
Old 02-12-2007 | 09:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

01ls1lover and I have PMed back and forth about this but had no conclusion.

Here is some background info for those just tuning in:
Originally Posted by vip1
If your radio does not have a wired remote input, but it does have a IR remote, then you can use a PAC SWI-X. Its the uniiversal IR adapter.

If your radio does have a wired remote input, you can use the manufacturer-specific adapter PAC SWI-?. (Example: PAC SWI-PS works with Pioneer and Sony).

You can buy the PAC device on Crutchfield and SoundDomain. The price runs $50 - $70.
Originally Posted by 01ls1lover
Thanks for the info, Bu i went on crutchfield.com and they say that the PAC SWI-X witch is the one i need is not compatable with my car and deck... Kenwood KDC-MP2035 This is frustraiting..
Originally Posted by vip1
Where did it say that? I didn't see any messages on their site when I made a bad combination. I did some quick research. That headunit (KDC-MP2035) has a wireless remote (Im guessing that means IR) and many on here have used the PAC SWI-X in their cars so it should work. Can you confirm that the remote is IR? A quick test is to aim the remote at a digital camera and press buttons on the remote while looking at the digital camera's LCD screen. You should see the remote's IR LED light up blue on the digital camera's LCD. I don't have a PAC SWI-X nor have I ever used one so I am no expert on this subject.
Old 02-13-2007 | 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

PAC SWI-X is compatible with all decks that have a IR remote to them as far as I know.

We install a lot of these things on anything from TAs to Fords and never had an issue.
Old 02-13-2007 | 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

I think im gonna get one.. Is the one on ebay recomended? Or whats the best deal i could get on one?
Old 02-13-2007 | 02:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ls1lover
I think im gonna get one.. Is the one on ebay recomended? Or whats the best deal i could get on one?
non-sponsor link deleted

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-13-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2007 | 08:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
PAC SWI-X is compatible with all decks that have a IR remote to them as far as I know.

We install a lot of these things on anything from TAs to Fords and never had an issue.
Well...that's almost true. The SWI-X is compatible with almost all decks that have IR remotes. Specifically, it works with remotes that use the 38-40kHz carrier frequency which covers the vast majority of decks out there. The major exceptions are a couple of JVC units and a rather lengthy list of Sony units.

We know that it works with GM steering wheel controls and there are no Kenwood systems that are listed as incompatible so it should work fine with that combination.