Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to wire mid speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wire mid speakers

I recently blew the driver side middle speaker in my 99 T/A (Middle=ones next to the back seat). I went out and bought a set of pioneers that would fit and am now having trouble wiring them in as the set I bought only has 2 wires, and it seems the stock had 4 wires and an adapter plug. Did I get the wrong kind of speaker? What should I look for and how should I wire it. Sorry if this is a bit confusing as Im not entirely sure how to descibe the problem, and thanks for all the help in advance!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
I recently blew the driver side middle speaker in my 99 T/A (Middle=ones next to the back seat). I went out and bought a set of pioneers that would fit and am now having trouble wiring them in as the set I bought only has 2 wires, and it seems the stock had 4 wires and an adapter plug. Did I get the wrong kind of speaker? What should I look for and how should I wire it. Sorry if this is a bit confusing as Im not entirely sure how to descibe the problem, and thanks for all the help in advance!
You probably got the wrong kind of speakers or else you'll have to do a little wiring modification. The sail panel speakers are subs that only get a low frequency signal from the stock amp. So the speakers you bought (I'll assume they're coaxial) will produce nothing but bass if you wire them to the factory harness and that's not what they're designed for.

If you want sound similar to the factory system then you need to get subs or midbass speakers (instead of the Pioneer coaxials) for the sail panel locations to reproduce the bass that was there originally.

If you want full-range sound from front and rear then you will have to disconnect your hatch speakers and run the wires from those 4" speakers forward to the sail panels to provide a full-range signal for your Pioneer speakers. Your 10-speaker system will become a 6-speaker system in this configuration but some people like the way it sounds. You can always add a sub later to make up for the lost bass.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Teching In

You are exactly right, all im getting is a faint bass. Could you by chance recommend a specific speaker as a replacement? Im looking to be as close to the factory sound as possible, but dont wanna shell out the dough for the speakers GM will sell me. Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

If you just want to replace the factory sound then factory speakers aren't that expensive. You can get them for about $65 at the dealer, $34 plus S/H online, perhaps cheaper on ebay or in the Parts For Sale section of this board. I mention this because any quality midbass or sub is going to cost that much or more and will be more work to install. For example, the ED EU700 subs that were discussed here cost $75 each and require spacers and some work to mount.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Great! Thanks for the info and advice!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-832
Old 02-17-2007, 02:30 AM
Teching In

Im glad I read this. I spent hours today trying to figure out why the hell the sail speakers weren't working. I ended up just taking the wires from the hatch speakers and running them to the sails. BTW Whitebird what did you mean by "Your 10-speaker system will become a 6-speaker system in this configuration " I'm pretty sure my I only had 6 speakers to start off with?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XCarlosX
Im glad I read this. I spent hours today trying to figure out why the hell the sail speakers weren't working. I ended up just taking the wires from the hatch speakers and running them to the sails. BTW Whitebird what did you mean by "Your 10-speaker system will become a 6-speaker system in this configuration " I'm pretty sure my I only had 6 speakers to start off with?
He was referring to the original poster, who owns a Firebird. The Firebird Monsoon setups had components in the front doors and the hatch area, so counting tweeter and woofer components, and then the sails makes 10 speakers. The Camaro setup only has components in the doors, so it could be considered and 8 speaker setup since you don't have the extra components in the hatch like the Firebird.