Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Thinking about new dvd head unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about new dvd head unit

Right now in my t/a I have a JVC Kameleon that I picked up a couple years ago from a friend at work for pretty cheap (my stocker was going and I was on a budget).

For those of you not familiar with this deck, it's motorized and the face slides in so it looks like a blank face when the car is off. Unfortunately, the motor is starting to die out and the unit sticks sometimes so I'm thinking about getting a new deck before this one craps out.

I'd like to get a touch screen dvd, mostly to use with gps nav. As far as other functionality, I usually have my ipod plugged in but I'm assuming any of these things will be able to hook up easily.

I don't mind flip-out screen really because it would probably be a lot less of a pain in the *** to install. As long as the motors aren't prone to blowing out on the flip screens I'm fine with it.

I have a set of rockford fosgate components that I'd like to power off the deck for now until I replace them. These were also bought on a budget a few years back when the factories blew so they're running off the stock amp for now. I figured I'd get a little more good use out of them if I powered them off a quality deck.

Currently no subs but I'll be doing a 10" and properly matched amp somewhere down the line.

Listening habits are fairly basic. I drive a lot so I'd like something that sounds pretty good but I don't need to drop a ton of money into the stereo because I wouldn't notice the difference at this stage of the game and would rather upgrade down the line if I still have the car.

What kind of unit would you recommend that fits into my use, is of decent quality and also comes at a relatively fair price?

Thanks in advance!

edit: I should add I don't mind hitting ebay at all so recommendations on something that would be good as a used/refurb unit are perfectly cool.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

/\ bump
Old 02-24-2007, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Well, if you were at all interested in going double din I'd go with the BRAND NEW pioneer avic-d3 (ill have mine this week FINALLY). But if you want to go with a rollout, the pioneer avic-n3 is a good unit, ipod integration, dvd playback, xm/sirius, bluetooth, and some other cool stuff. There's also a good eclipse unit, the AVN7000. No ipod compatability, no bluetooth, and only Sirius. However, its probably one of the best hu's for overall sound quality with all of its adjustability.

So do a little research on those, price digging and hopefully you'll find something. I'm not really well knowledged with any other models, since I was shopping personally for double dins most of the time. The problem with the other units like the Alpine and Clarion are that you need to buy the navigation units separately, and it gets expensive. But if $$ isnt a big deal, then maybe take a look at those as well.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the suggestions, I'll look around for that pioneer unit you were talking about. ipod integration is definitely something I'd like to have so that's good to know ahead of time.

double-dins don't fit in the t/a without modding the dash, correct? maybe I'm under the wrong impression but I thought I came across that info here.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NOIR
Well, if you were at all interested in going double din I'd go with the BRAND NEW pioneer avic-d3 (ill have mine this week FINALLY). But if you want to go with a rollout, the pioneer avic-n3 is a good unit, ipod integration, dvd playback, xm/sirius, bluetooth, and some other cool stuff. There's also a good eclipse unit, the AVN7000. No ipod compatability, no bluetooth, and only Sirius. However, its probably one of the best hu's for overall sound quality with all of its adjustability.

So do a little research on those, price digging and hopefully you'll find something. I'm not really well knowledged with any other models, since I was shopping personally for double dins most of the time. The problem with the other units like the Alpine and Clarion are that you need to buy the navigation units separately, and it gets expensive. But if $$ isnt a big deal, then maybe take a look at those as well.
yea ive really been lookin at that AVIC-D3 comes out in march. do u have any pics of your set up cause im curious how i could do it. prob move HVAC controls and slide the HU down and have the screen above that.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn, I checked into that one and it's about double the cost of another pioneer I was looking at. it would be nice to have bluetooth and the integrated gps and such though, argh.