Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing Monsoon Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Monsoon Speakers

Read the Monsoon FAQ
Ordered a new pair of sail panel speakers
What are the instructions for replacing them?
Can I just snap off the gray cover on the sail panel or do you have to actually remove the whole panel?
This is for a 2002 Firehawk Trans Am
Old 02-20-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cover will come off, replacing the speakers might be a little tough without removing the whole panel, though. But not impossible (unless you have a huge replacement)
Old 02-21-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Planning on replacing with the OEM Monsoon speakers, so even swap.
Just hate to take out the whole panel because it was already replaced once under warranty since the original wouldn't line up with the door. It had a 1" gap where the clips and the velcro didn't close up tight.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

The service manual recommends removing the quarter trim panel but I'm sure you can do it through the grill opening.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Is there any recommended method of removing the grill without damaging it?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

it just pops off. start at the top and push it down (toward the bottom). the tabs will come out. do one at a time and work your way around the grill. the bottom one likes to be a pain, so do that one last, where you can look in and work it out.

its easy to put in factory speakers again, its the larger ones that youd need to remove the entire panel for, and thats not too bad either.

heres a pic with my larger speaker in there. keep inmind that i put in 7" speakers, the 6.5" speaker fits in there easier.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

THANK YOU! for that photo. That relieves a lot of my anxiety over the speaker replacement. I know WAY back in the day I replaced the speakers on my 3rd Gen Z-28 and it was really easy to remove the fabric cover by taking out the clothes hanger screw. This whole plastic panel is just too much for a measly speaker.
I hate that it blew, but I have a new pair on the way and want them in before a car show on Sunday. I don't want a blown speaker louder than my headers/GMMG exhaust!!!