Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

fuel pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel pressure gauge

Have auto meter 2 1/16" electric fuel pressure gauge. I removed the schrader valve and installed an adapter & the sending unit.

It has a light with a power & ground pigtail wires. It has another set of wires that goes from the gauge to the sending unit (plugs on both ends) with a power and ground pigtail wire coming from the gauge plug end. I have the light power wire & the gauge power wire connected together and they are connected to a power wire that i already had ran to the fuse box under the hood. I did the same thing with the ground wires.

When i turn the key on, the light works and the gauge pegs the needle. Start the car and the needle stays pegged.

I checked all the wires and none are damaged. Checked and it is getting a good ground and power.

Why does is it pegging the needle?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by One Bad Z
Have auto meter 2 1/16" electric fuel pressure gauge. I removed the schrader valve and installed an adapter & the sending unit.

It has a light with a power & ground pigtail wires. It has another set of wires that goes from the gauge to the sending unit (plugs on both ends) with a power and ground pigtail wire coming from the gauge plug end. I have the light power wire & the gauge power wire connected together and they are connected to a power wire that i already had ran to the fuse box under the hood. I did the same thing with the ground wires.

When i turn the key on, the light works and the gauge pegs the needle. Start the car and the needle stays pegged.

I checked all the wires and none are damaged. Checked and it is getting a good ground and power.

Why does is it pegging the needle?
Mine did the same thing when mine wasn't connected to the sending unit.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

so did you replace the sending unit or what? everything is plugged in on mine
Old 02-24-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

u just have insane fuel pressure

just triple check that everything is connected correctly, im sure its something dumb.. it always is
Old 02-25-2007, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Nothings wrong with how i have it wired. Check every wire twice for cuts & spliced everything again.

Only have a "light" wire tester tool. The gauge main power wire gives bright light and the ground is good.

There are 3 wires that go from the sending unit to the gauge. gray (power) black (ground) purple (sends the info). And at the gauge end like i said, it has another power and ground wire to go to fuse box & body ground. The gray wire puts out a dim light on my tester. The black wire is good. Would like to know what how low volts the gray wire is suppose to have.

I have other gauges that are running on the same power wire and they all work.

Thats as far as i've got.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It pegs when it is not connected to the sender (unplugged). Something must be wrong with the sender or where your wires plug into the sender...
Old 02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a bad n2o guage from Autometer. It would do the exact same thing yours is. I bought another guage from a local speed shop connected the "old" guage plug into the new guage and it worked 100%. I bet since you've checked the wires it's the guage.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

sending unit is bad. replacement is on the way
Old 04-07-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by One Bad Z
sending unit is bad. replacement is on the way
Autometer better get their *** in gear and produce better products!