Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Door speaker rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door speaker rattle

My car has the monsoon system in it and the passenger side door speaker is making a rattling sound. I know its not blown but i cant figure out why it is making this sound. Can anybody help me?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you actually looked at it?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Have you actually looked at it?
yea i moved the speaker cover and looked at the speaker and everything looked fine but i still hear the rattle
Old 03-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Banned

Sounds like the speaker may be blown to. That would cause it to vibrate really bad which could then make your door panels vibrate.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White_Liberty
Sounds like the speaker may be blown to. That would cause it to vibrate really bad which could then make your door panels vibrate.
Agreed!! To verify this just pull the door panel off and make sure the mounting basket isn't loose or broken. I highly doubt it is unless you kicked the crap out of your door or something lately but the best way to check it is to pull the door panel off. It will be good practice if you haven't done it before because the monsoon door and sail speakers eventually go anyway and you will have to replace them. Good news is that when you replace them it will sound alot better than stock!!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH2000SS
yea i moved the speaker cover and looked at the speaker and everything looked fine but i still hear the rattle
Do you know what to look for in a blown speaker?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fredmr39
Do you know what to look for in a blown speaker?
yea my friends are always blowing their speakers so i know what one looks like.i dont think it is blown though because the music coming from the speaker still sounds good. i'll probably take the door panel off sometime this weekend. thanks for the info.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question, when my sail panel woofers failed I noticed that when next to eachother the magnets would push them away from eachother rather than new speakers which would attract to eachother. Why?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JTH2000SS
yea my friends are always blowing their speakers so i know what one looks like.i dont think it is blown though because the music coming from the speaker still sounds good. i'll probably take the door panel off sometime this weekend. thanks for the info.
oh alright - sorry, just wanted to make sure you weren't just looking at the speakers cone or something visually and calling it good...

Just because it sounds alright, it still could be on its way out.. Blown speakers produce zero sound.....there is an infinite number of places to be between a perfectly fine speaker and a blown speaker. I would recommend doing some more physical/technical testing on the speaker, or replace them if you are sure the speaker itself is producing the noise.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fredmr39
oh alright - sorry, just wanted to make sure you weren't just looking at the speakers cone or something visually and calling it good...

Just because it sounds alright, it still could be on its way out.. Blown speakers produce zero sound.....there is an infinite number of places to be between a perfectly fine speaker and a blown speaker. I would recommend doing some more physical/technical testing on the speaker, or replace them if you are sure the speaker itself is producing the noise.
do know about how much monsoon speakers are new, or should i replace them with an aftermarket brand?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

What do you want from your sound system? Of course, aftermarket is usually better, but is it worth it to YOU?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

What do you want from your sound system? Of course, aftermarket is usually better, but is it worth it to YOU?
well the monsoon speakers have always sounded fine to me, i've never really been interested in having the loudest system around.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Then just get stock replacements.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Then just get stock replacements.
thats what i was leaning towards. thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know stock replacement prices, but if you plan on keeping everything else stock - what's to say they don't blow again? Aftermarket speakers will sound better, and have better durability (usually). Even if you aren't that into sound - I say get aftermarket speakers, because you will spend less as well if you aren't looking for top stuff.

However, if you are looking for the easiest, most plug&play install possible and aren't too interested in messing with anything, and on top of all that don't mind the stock sound - then get the OEM speakers.

EDIT: also, you seem unsure about aftermarket.... you use words like stock sounds "fine" and don't want the "loudest" system... Purchasing aftermarket speakers isn't always about volume, and it may sound fine because you don't know what you are missing.... not at all trying to persuade you one way or another, just don;t want you to get factory replacements then hear someone's setup and wonder why you just didn't go ahead and replace them with aftermarket speakers... Then again - it seems like you have been around a good amount of speakers since you mentioned your friends blowing speakers. soooo in conclusion: If you are keeping the HU (and everything) else stock and want the most simple install possible, get the OEM replacements.