Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

phaser II

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default phaser II

i keep hearing a stupid commercal on the radio for the phazer 2 radar jammer. does this thing work? anyone own one? thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

No, it doesn't work. There are two possible types radar jammers - passive and active.

Passive jammers simply don't work. People have tried various reflectors and diffusers but none have ever worked. At one time they used to tell you to put wadded up aluminum foil in your wheels (behind the hub caps or wheel covers - it was many years ago) to deflect radar.

Some active jammers work quite well. Unfortunately, only the military can afford them and they are very, very illegal for use by anyone else (we're talking "throw away the key" illegal). The reason is that an active jammer requires a transmitter that sends a microwave signal to jam or confuse the radar gun. The FCC controls the allocations and uses of radio/microwave frequencies and they get really upset when somebody uses an unauthorized frequency for something like radar jamming (the federal government has no sense of humor).

Laser is a different thing. Laser is light, not radio/microwave so it doesn't fall under the control of the FCC. Laser jammers are available, can be quite effective, and are only illegal in a couple of states (California comes to mind).

Anyway, if you believe the Phazer works, give me a call - I've got some land I'd like to sell you (when the tide goes out).
Old 03-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't Myth Busters just do a whole show on radar jammers??!! None of them worked except for the rotating mirror thing on top of the car, but it just gave weird readings, didn't actually jam the radar!!
Old 03-09-2007, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well im glad i asked, i have never heard anything good or bad agout them so i had no idea. thanks for the help whitebird. also about that land...how many acres?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radar jammers are pretty illegal too (unlike laser jammers)