Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUI...spagenameZWDVW

Here a Ebay Link for the Button Kit with Relays and Wires. $70. Not to Bad. The Dealer wants only $40. Thats Just for the Button. The part # 35881S2A911. If the Mute Button Thing Work Id Love to See it.

Last edited by Camaro Junkie 1; 03-23-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
In fact, you would still have to put the key in the ignition for the VATS system. You could bypass that but then anybody who sat in your car could start it without a key. Somehow I don't think your insurance company would like that too much.
I would want to relocate the ignition itself, up under the dash or something like that.
I would also wire in an master killswitch as well. I personally wouldnt use the lighter area to mount the start button, I think I would use the Ashtray since I dont smoke and I never use it, and it can be out of sight.

That is just me and the way I would want to do it.

Thanks for the info and posting those links, This is just one mor thing I am going to add to my to do list in July!!
Old 03-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

There is a way to bypass the clutch safety system, not recomended but doable. You wire a live 12v wire to the in voltage of the switch. Then you wire the switched wire directly to the selenoid (starter). when you want to start the car, you turn the key to on position, and press the button. that way it would bypass the clutch safety system.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by mcano
There is a way to bypass the clutch safety system, not recomended but doable. You wire a live 12v wire to the in voltage of the switch. Then you wire the switched wire directly to the selenoid (starter). when you want to start the car, you turn the key to on position, and press the button. that way it would bypass the clutch safety system.
Oh no, it's much easier than that! The clutch switch is just a momentary switch that interrupts the starter circuit when the clutch isn't depressed. All you need to do to bypass it is splice the two wires at the switch together.

Again, that's for remote start setups - you don't need that for this push button start mod. If you're in the car to turn the ignition switch on anyway then there's no need to bypass the clutch and bypassing the clutch could lead to trying to start the car in gear.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with the bypass, but I think that any bypass concerning this should not be done. As if done, you could start the car in gear and then who knows what can happen.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mcano
As if done, you could start the car in gear and then who knows what can happen.
My guess would be the car would move either forward or rearwards...depending on what gear it was in
Old 03-26-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies fellas, still not sure what I am going to do with this as of yet. I may just go with a simple switch in the ash tray or something, not sure yet. Although I do like the looks of that S2000 one, but if at all possible would like to think of something more clever...
Old 03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many amps is going to be going through the switch?

Last edited by Dom; 03-26-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

I would put it in the ash tray as well. That way no one really knows you have it unless they see you use it. How difficult would it be to install a system off of a C6 Corvette utilizing the key fob?? Or is that even possible? That way you have to be in the car in order for the system to work.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

i don't have a TA yet but am trying to sell my car so i can... i have always like the thought of this mod. if done right it would make it difficult for a theif to steal the car just by hacking the ignition as he would also either have to know how to hot wire the car or find the switch. could i use the existing cigarette lighter, being that i don't smoke, by simply connecting one side to the steering wheel ACC+ and the other to the #86 Pin of the relay? i am guessing the ground from the starter switch is simply there because it lights up correct? naturally i would still have to ground the relay. the cig lighter would be considered momentary push in it is on when it comes out it is off.. next question is how do i get it to just go in and out and not stay in till heated?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 PM
DGraboyes

its a good 'idea' especially for stealth reasons... dont want anyone pressin your button
Old 03-20-2008, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 00TAProject
I would want to relocate the ignition itself, up under the dash or something like that.
I would also wire in an master killswitch as well. I personally wouldnt use the lighter area to mount the start button, I think I would use the Ashtray since I dont smoke and I never use it, and it can be out of sight.

That is just me and the way I would want to do it.

Thanks for the info and posting those links, This is just one mor thing I am going to add to my to do list in July!!
Its a good idea and I looked into it as well but the only problem is that I dont think there is enough room underneath the ashtray because the start button is fairly long for what it is. I ended up putting as Antenna Override switch in the ashtray to keep it down while im listening to CDs. However I never measured it.

Also I dont think the button would try and start the car unless the clutch is pushed in so you would be fairly safe incase somebody hits it. But you could also easily wire in a "master" toggle switch in line between the ACC(pink wire) and the start button as this would cut power to it as well.

Heres how mine looks after what I ended up doing
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/885086-finished-up-my-interior-upgrades-pics.html

I didnt want to hide mine or make it stealthy as part of the fun is showin it off and for ascetics as well.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

just saw this is a year old thread haha
Old 03-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
Its a good idea and I looked into it as well but the only problem is that I dont think there is enough room underneath the ashtray because the start button is fairly long for what it is. I ended up putting as Antenna Override switch in the ashtray to keep it down while im listening to CDs. However I never measured it.

Also I dont think the button would try and start the car unless the clutch is pushed in so you would be fairly safe incase somebody hits it. But you could also easily wire in a "master" toggle switch in line between the ACC(pink wire) and the start button as this would cut power to it as well.

Heres how mine looks after what I ended up doing
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885086

I didnt want to hide mine or make it stealthy as part of the fun is showin it off and for ascetics as well.

very well done sir... looks good
Old 03-21-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

personally i would use the tcs switch for it, cause someone wouldnt think thats a push button
Old 03-22-2008, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
personally i would use the tcs switch for it, cause someone wouldnt think thats a push button
Only down side is what if one of your friends hits it just for fun not thinkin its gonna do what its actually gonna do. But none the less it would be hidden