Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2 Channel vs Mono Advice..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Channel vs Mono Advice..

I only using it to power 1 Diamond Audio D3 subwoofer.. the Sub is at 400 RMS... I found a nice 2 channel amp and looking at its specs... it'll say *** @ 2 ohms x 2... *** @ 4 ohms x 2... and then *** MONO RMS... when they say mono RMS does that mean thats what'd you get if you run it to 1 subwoofer aka use it as a mono amp?.. and is it better/worse then using a regular MONO amp?

thx guys.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeySS2000x
I only using it to power 1 Diamond Audio D3 subwoofer.. the Sub is at 400 RMS... I found a nice 2 channel amp and looking at its specs... it'll say *** @ 2 ohms x 2... *** @ 4 ohms x 2... and then *** MONO RMS... when they say mono RMS does that mean thats what'd you get if you run it to 1 subwoofer aka use it as a mono amp?.. and is it better/worse then using a regular MONO amp?

thx guys.
***Mono RMS is what the amp will put at continusly to the sub.

You can use either type of amp, some prefer to use a mono amp cause they do not need the other channel.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to use a two channel amp only because it offers flexability in the future. I can use it to power a sub or a set of component speakers. I like to buy and know I can still change my setup without buying more stuff.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you bridge the two channels together, that is the "mono" rating the specs are talking about. Usually if you bridge two channels, you're limited to a 4 ohm speaker load.

There are a few downsides to using a 2 channel amp as a bass amp. One is the lack of flexibility. You're stuck at a single 4 ohm speaker load. With a single channel bass amp, your wiring options open up greatly. You can run at 2 or 4 ohms. If you have a good bass amp, you can run down to .5 ohm just fine. This opens up your choices for speakers and number of speakers.

Another downside is most 2 channel amps are Class A/B or something similar, which are power hogs. They're not as efficient as class D amps. When you have a 1000 watt class A/B amp bridged running a sub, it will be a much harder strain on your electrical system than a 1000 class D amp. All this means a 1000 watt class A/B amp might draw 130 amps of current, while the class D amp will only draw 90 amps.

The last thing I can think of is that amps specifically made for bass have the adjustments to do so. They'll have IF filters, low pass filters, and steeper crossover slopes.

So, in my opinion, a 2 channel amp is not as good for bass as a single channel amp, but it will get the job done. You can bridge the two channels together and run a subwoofer if you would like, as long as the ohm load doesn't go too low.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95bat
If you bridge the two channels together, that is the "mono" rating the specs are talking about. Usually if you bridge two channels, you're limited to a 4 ohm speaker load.

There are a few downsides to using a 2 channel amp as a bass amp. One is the lack of flexibility. You're stuck at a single 4 ohm speaker load. With a single channel bass amp, your wiring options open up greatly. You can run at 2 or 4 ohms. If you have a good bass amp, you can run down to .5 ohm just fine. This opens up your choices for speakers and number of speakers.

Another downside is most 2 channel amps are Class A/B or something similar, which are power hogs. They're not as efficient as class D amps. When you have a 1000 watt class A/B amp bridged running a sub, it will be a much harder strain on your electrical system than a 1000 class D amp. All this means a 1000 watt class A/B amp might draw 130 amps of current, while the class D amp will only draw 90 amps.

The last thing I can think of is that amps specifically made for bass have the adjustments to do so. They'll have IF filters, low pass filters, and steeper crossover slopes.

So, in my opinion, a 2 channel amp is not as good for bass as a single channel amp, but it will get the job done. You can bridge the two channels together and run a subwoofer if you would like, as long as the ohm load doesn't go too low.
Good response.

here's a listing I did for comparison on Class A/B vs Class D. There is also a link in this thread to see the difference in power consumption.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....0&postcount=14
Old 04-11-2007, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Cool I think it more about .....

What are you trying to get out of your sub?
As you have stated a single sub I think you are not looking for slamm'n bass?
If you are I agree withthe above responses ... but if it for sub fill at less then club volume then a 2 channel may suit you fine. Bridge it, you will get pretty good sub .... now with that said I run 2 10's with a class D mono amp @ 1 ohm .....