Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

window motor problem help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default window motor problem help

ok my passenger window always sucked it went up slow and down slow and sometimes it would get stuck and i would have to wait a few seconds and it would go up some more then stop and wait and so on that happened sometimes not alot. so i baught that auto trix window thing and it moves faster then the driver lol but now it does that thing where it stops and i cant move it for a few seconds it happens alot now when that doesnt happen the window flys i know its not the power or the ground can anyone help me?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Motor is going bye-bye. It stops because the thermal overload is tripping out the motor due to high load on a weak motor trying to lift heavy glass.

As soon as overload resets the motor will work again briefly.

You need to get new window motor

Some will tell you to grease the window tracks/mechanism and/or shoot silicone spray down inside the little triangle rubbers at the front of the windows. I tried all that originally - helped a wee bit. But once the motor is past point of no return it doesn't help at all.

I've replaced both of mine with the motors from Autozone - they used to be Seimens brand, but I think the have been replaced by another brand as of late. The Seimens motors were faster/quieter than my stock motors ever were.

BTW, I also installed the AutoTrix kit on PS - just to keep the motor working fine.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks alot it sucks but i guess i need a new window motor
Old 04-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Allow for a longer motor life with our window fix!!
Old 04-14-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I heard something before about pulling the motor apart, removing the thermal switch, and soldering a jumper wire in its place. Does anyone know if this would be a problem?
I can see how this would work. I really think that the thermal switch is too sensitive.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sunsetta
I heard something before about pulling the motor apart, removing the thermal switch, and soldering a jumper wire in its place. Does anyone know if this would be a problem?
I can see how this would work. I really think that the thermal switch is too sensitive.

There is a writeup out there about that. The only real problems I can see with doing it would be.

1. You have to pull the dang motor out
2. That thermal switch is partially a saftey so that the motor will not smash someones arm or head or finger etc..
3. If someone where to hold the switch down it would burn up the windings in the motor a bit or completely. That circuit is on a 30a breaker and it will take the motor a while to trip that on its own.

Not a horrible thing to do but with the window fix kit it really should be unnessacary (spelling)