Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

door speakers with Monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door speakers with Monsoon

I am upgrading my system and since the door speakers are wired as components with the tweeters being separate, can I install 6.5 coaxial speakers with integrated tweeters and still have it work ok with the stock amp? I may or may not keep the factory tweeters if I do this.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea - you would only use one pair of wires though, unless you wish to modify the coaxials into "components".
Old 04-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Teching In

just curious, no disrespect, but why would you not want to use component speakers?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Aren't there components in your TA from the factory sbcpower? No disrespect intended either....I don't have components in my camaro, I have coaxials. I wished I had had the money to do components. I really like the imaging effects of component sets rather than my coax. Where the speakers are in a camaro you can lose your highs because the speaker "fires" into your leg. Some people use the woofer part of the components in the door and the tweet in the A pillar to help with imaging and such. I didn't want to do that much work though...guess I'm lazy heheh
Old 04-13-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iosigma
Aren't there components in your TA from the factory sbcpower? No disrespect intended either....I don't have components in my camaro, I have coaxials. I wished I had had the money to do components. I really like the imaging effects of component sets rather than my coax. Where the speakers are in a camaro you can lose your highs because the speaker "fires" into your leg. Some people use the woofer part of the components in the door and the tweet in the A pillar to help with imaging and such. I didn't want to do that much work though...guess I'm lazy heheh
We actually have coaxially mounted components.

Components would be the original poster's best option if he wishes to maintain the factory tweeter location. Or, if he is happy with the factory tweeter - just leave it, and put the coaxial in using just the woofer wires. (now...on a Camaro the woofer wires carry a full range signal -- is this the case for Pontiac Monsoon systems as wel?).
Old 04-13-2007, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Default ttt

I could use components in the doors, I just happen to get a good deal on some coaxials and that was why I wanted to make sure they would work. I could keep the factory tweeter to direct highs toward me if that became an issue.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Teching In

yea I do have a component setup from the factory. And we firebird guys suffer the safe leg muffler you guys have too, haha. I can def. hear a difference between when my leg is against the door panel and when it isn't. The best bet would be to simply upgrade to a better set of component speakers with crossovers to get the signals dialed in to where they should be going. Ideally you would want the highs coming from the tweeters close to you, or your ears for that matter, the mid-highs relatively close being the woofers in the door just below the tweeters (in the firebird) mids from the speakers in the panels by the rear seats, mid-lows from the speakers in the hatch panels, and the lows coming from ideally a sub mounted wherever. Something to keep in mind the higher the frequency (more treble) the more directional it is so you need it to be pointed basically right f*cking at you, the lower you go into bass for example with the sub isn't as directional, that's why it doesn't really matter ALL that much where you put it. But all that is just how much you really care and if it's all that important to you.

Believe it or not Ford got the speaker placement pretty good with the component setup being that in my sis' mustang her tweeters are located on the door right by the A-pillar, pointed right at your face. She is using an all Alpine Type-R setup and it sounds awesome, I'll be doing the same when I get the '02 I'm savin for and in my '69 as well.

Like you said putting the tweeters in the a-pillar like in the stangs would be ideal for proper imagery but I'm not sure I would go through that either, I'll just move my leg away from the door haha. A good spot to move the tweeter to the a-pillar and keep it looking clean would be the defroster vent that faces the windows right by the side mirror, but then you lose their functionality. It's all up to you
BTW something I thought was cool, they do make a harness/wiring kit to make our steering wheel controls work flawlessly with aftermarket HUs.