Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

NEW HID Install questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW HID Install questions...

Basically I got my HID kit last night and I was wondering how to wire it. Im curious about the ballast in particular. Its a two wire loom that comes off of each box (one white wire, one black) Im guessing that these wires get spliced to the stock headlight bulb connectors? One power, one ground. Is there anything else I should be watching out for as far as current overload on the circuit. Should I wire a relay in?

Sorry for the dumb billy questions, its just that electrical crap escapes me. I can turn wrenches all day long, but dont ask me to do more than strip a wire.

Last edited by Beeler422; 05-09-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by SVTHuh
Basically I got my HID kit last night and I was wondering how to wire it. Im curious about the ballast in particular. Its a two wire loom that comes off of each box (one white wire, one black) Im guessing that these wires get spliced to the stock headlight bulb connectors? One power, one ground. Is there anything else I should be watching out for as far as current overload on the circuit. Should I wire a relay in?

Sorry for the dumb billy questions, its just that electrical crap escapes me. I can turn wrenches all day long, but dont ask me to do more than strip a wire.
Tell me you're joking??
It's plug and play nothing to it.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Banned

this kit is not so much... its a japanese ballast and german bulbs.. My main question is should I run a relay through it or will it be fine as a straight wire and go? I would rather cover my bases no matter how ridiculous than screw something up.

Last edited by Beeler422; 05-09-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

this kit is not so much... its a japanese ballast and german bulbs.. My main question is should I run a relay through it or will it be fine as a straight wire and go? I would rather cover my bases no matter how ridiculous than screw something up.
It doesn't matter. Does it look like this?
Post pics i don't see what the big deal is.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned

I got it installed.. I just didnt want to chance anything... oh well.. thanks for making me look stupid.

The HID install was more straight forward than I thought. I didnt even really look at it before posting honestly. I just dont want to **** up my new ride.

Thanks though...

I do have one more question though... is there any simple way of wiring up the highbeams so that the lowbeams stay on when the highbeams are switched on? Basically I want all four lights on when I hit the highbeam switch. Is this possible?

Last edited by Beeler422; 05-09-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

I got it installed.. I just didnt want to chance anything... oh well.. thanks for making me look stupid.

The HID install was more straight forward than I thought. I didnt even really look at it before posting honestly. I just dont want to **** up my new ride.

Thanks though...

I do have one more question though... is there any simple way of wiring up the highbeams so that the lowbeams stay on when the highbeams are switched on? Basically I want all four lights on when I hit the highbeam switch. Is this possible?
Stylinconcept give them a call.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

This is quite simple. The headlight dimmer switch connector at the steering column has three wires - yellow, tan, and light green. Just use a short piece of wire to connect the yellow wire to the tan wire. Your headlights will work normally except that the low beams will stay on when the high beams are selected.

Bear in mind that this is only legal if you leave the factory configuration where the fog lights turn off when the high beams are used. You can only have four lights on at the same time.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Back in the staging lane

SVT, you can't have links to non-sponsors in your sig. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Banned

Thanks WhiteBird... Ill try that.

Beeler, can I at least have my clubs link in the sig? Its not a business, nor is it any sort of profit generating organization.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
This is quite simple. The headlight dimmer switch connector at the steering column has three wires - yellow, tan, and light green. Just use a short piece of wire to connect the yellow wire to the tan wire. Your headlights will work normally except that the low beams will stay on when the high beams are selected.Bear in mind that this is only legal if you leave the factory configuration where the fog lights turn off when the high beams are used. You can only have four lights on at the same time.
Good to know, but do you need a relay or a fuse for this mod or not?
Don't want to burn my **** up ya know.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Kage
Good to know, but do you need a relay or a fuse for this mod or not?
Don't want to burn my **** up ya know.
No relay is necessary. This mod just makes the Camaro wiring configuration the same as on Firebirds which already leave the low beams on with the high beams. The Firebird wiring has the low beam power bypass the dimmer switch to ensure they remain on, so this mod just adds the same bypass to the low beam side of the Camaro dimmer switch. Of course, make sure you use a big enough gauge of wire for the bypass.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Back in the staging lane

Thanks WhiteBird... Ill try that.

Beeler, can I at least have my clubs link in the sig? Its not a business, nor is it any sort of profit generating organization.
Yes, that's fine.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

well, I see the yellow and green wire behind the headlight/dimmer switch, but I dont see any "tan" wires... are both wires on the main headlight switch assembly harness?

edit: Nevermind.. I found the wires, right smack under the steering column. Wired it up, it works GREAT... Only problem I have now is that I want to spend another $300 on a second HID set for the Hi-Beam side now... Silverstars look like poop compared to the HID's.

Last edited by SVTHuh; 05-11-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

No relay is necessary. This mod just makes the Camaro wiring configuration the same as on Firebirds which already leave the low beams on with the high beams. The Firebird wiring has the low beam power bypass the dimmer switch to ensure they remain on, so this mod just adds the same bypass to the low beam side of the Camaro dimmer switch. Of course, make sure you use a big enough gauge of wire for the bypass.
Is going to work the same with HID's?
Don't want to **** my **** up.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Kage
Is going to work the same with HID's?
Don't want to **** my **** up.
If you didn't need to add a relay for the HIDs in the first place then you don't need one with this mod. If you did add a relay then this mod will still use the relay you already installed.

BTW, would it really be that difficult for you to ask questions or post comments without the "colorful" language?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

BTW, would it really be that difficult for you to ask questions or post comments without the "colorful" language?
Otay i sorry, do i get a time out now or a ?