Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Stereo Installed! (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had ONE of those 12" JBL's in a factory spec'd ported box in my Trailblazer... with 150rms going to it.

It was loud enough that every normal person who got in my truck would cover their ears or get out.

I can't even imagine how silly that setup must sound...
Old 07-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fredmr39
you shouldn't have any charging issues if that's the only amp -- 1000 approx is where most run into problems -- 800 watt amp and you say you're hitting 157 dB?.....
Its obvious he isn't hitting 157db...but regardless it is a nice looking setup. I bet it sounds awesome too.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
Whats an "humount"?
THIS.....

Old 07-02-2007, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

I am about to install the same speakers in my doors..any problems getting them to fit? Any advice before i start?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentHamm
I am about to install the same speakers in my doors..any problems getting them to fit? Any advice before i start?

For the door speakers you need to cut a small piece of plastic to fit the magnet structure for the mid, a razor works great!

For the rear hatch speaker, when i looked at the mounting bracket for the 4" speaker and the 3/4" tweeter it looked like there should be a 4x6" speaker there so i used a coping saw to cut out a little to make the 4x6" to fit, and the holes matched right up. It was easy, but i did use the factory tweeter and the mid wires to wire up the new 4x6".
Old 07-14-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Update!

My Monsoon cactory amp finaly blew, the JBL door, side panel, and rear hatch sperakers were too much for it...
So had to but a new amp!
Bought the Alpine MRP-F450, and instaled it in the factory location, it actually fit there, but i needed to dril two more holes to mount it because the amp weighs a little more then the factory amp, and it did rattle some w/o the extra mounting holes.
I ran two sets of AV cables from the HU to the amp at the driver side door, and under the hatch carpet to the factory location, and ran the 8 gauge power cable from the battery, through firewall then it wnet through the passanger side back to the factory location.
I spliced the lead turn-on from my subwoofer amp to the new amp.
I did use the factory speaker wiring, and i put wire nuts on the inputs from the factory HU thoes wires are no longer used.
This took about 1.5 hours to do the install.
There is an amazing diffrence! Much clearer and the mids are amazing, but the highs could be better, i have a feeling its the JBL tweeters, i am thinking about switching to something that has a better rep. for tweeters, just replacing the tweeters. Other than that can you say loudER.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:56 AM
On The Tree

how do you like that head unit? i know crutchfeild has a special with the head unit and the ipod cable. did you take that advantage?
Old 07-15-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nickx07
how do you like that head unit? i know crutchfeild has a special with the head unit and the ipod cable. did you take that advantage?

Yes i did take that advantage! But the sound quality is really bad, the bass is muggy, and the highs sound like your in a metal trash can. A basic CD-MP3 sounds really good!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

very nice, but how come you havnt gotten the rear window tinted...thats just asking for a brick to pay a visit to your car.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

the bass is muggy, and the highs sound like your in a metal trash can. A basic CD-MP3 sounds really good!
is it because of the monsoon system? what about your new amp, does it sound better? the reason i am asking is because i was eyeing this head unit for a while.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by reject
very nice, but how come you havnt gotten the rear window tinted...thats just asking for a brick to pay a visit to your car.
Its only an ice cream car, 5 miles a week, and thats a huge maybe, so i am not to worried about it, and dont you thing tint is kind of tunner?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

is it because of the monsoon system? what about your new amp, does it sound better? the reason i am asking is because i was eyeing this head unit for a while.
Well apperently the cable to hook your ipod with the HU changes the ohm load from the ipod to the HU so it makes the sound more flat, i bought a cable for my home stereo and it also sounds flat, plus its really distracting when i am looking for songs on the HU from the ipod. It only sounds like crap at high volume levels, but the CD-MP3 can be at the same level and higher and it sounds great!
The new amp made a world of a diffrence! But i am still messing around with all the controles, because with this HU you can controle both external amps.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

hmm so maybe the ipod cable isn't really a good deal if its not the same quality at high volumes.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

hmm so maybe the ipod cable isn't really a good deal if its not the same quality at high volumes.

Not at all. But there is other things, i have never tried the wireless transmitors but they might be good sound quality... but on the other hand its radio frq. FM, which i think would sound bad.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well apperently the cable to hook your ipod with the HU changes the ohm load from the ipod to the HU so it makes the sound more flat, i bought a cable for my home stereo and it also sounds flat, plus its really distracting when i am looking for songs on the HU from the ipod. It only sounds like crap at high volume levels, but the CD-MP3 can be at the same level and higher and it sounds great!
The new amp made a world of a diffrence! But i am still messing around with all the controles, because with this HU you can controle both external amps.
Where are you getting your information about the cables from?

I think cable is as good as it gets.....wouldn't try FM transmitters - I hate whenever I'm in the car and someone has those - trying different stations all the time until they get some decent SQ.....
Old 07-15-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fredmr39
Where are you getting your information about the cables from?
A local auto stereo shop i talked to, and they seem to know what they are doing, and i asked them why does it sound like crap, and they took a meter and showed the ohms at the ipod, then showed the ohms at the end of the cable that was connected to the ipod, there was a big diffrence and finaly they took the specs of the ohm level the HU should be reciving from the ipod w/ cable and the level was much too high. Mind you they did on there equipment also. I will get back to you on what the ohm levels should be so you can try it out if you would like.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Did a change... Now i am running my tweeters off the new amp, it took al little bit of wiring and sounds a little better. I wonder if a higher end of tweeters will make the diffrence, like morel?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

very clean install!! nice job. i almost with jbls but the last second i went with jl's since my only option were 8's.

2000 SS ARTIC WHITE CONV 1 OF 146

STOCK BESIDES A CUSTOM STEREO
PREMIER H/U, CUSTOM H/U MOUNT, ALPINE SPEAKERS, ALPINE 5 CHANNEL AMP, 2 JL AUDIO 8W0 SUBS (JB SLIMS SUB BOX)
Attached Thumbnails New Stereo Installed! (w/ pics)-picture-203.jpg   New Stereo Installed! (w/ pics)-picture-192.jpg   New Stereo Installed! (w/ pics)-2311638_21_full.jpg  
Old 11-27-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

For Sale:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...-two-subs.html
Old 11-28-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much power that alpine pulling out?
is it the 1000 version?
or the 2000?