Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No bass w/ HU swap... wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything else sounds better because the stock HU is a POS. It's not really hard to improve on. As for why you're losing bass, I gave my three best answers...

1. Fader adjusted all the way to the front or rear (EASY to check)
2. Reverse polarity on either the front or rear speakers (not TOO hard to check)
3. Busted HU

I thought a bit more about the reverse polarity thing too. If that is what the problem is, you might be able to check it with the fader. If you've already checked the fader and it is centered (equal rear and front power), then move it all the way to the front. That will cut out the signal going to the rears and get rid of your out of phase signal. It'll still only have half the volume it should out of the sails, but it should be more than the next-to-nothing you're getting now. If that's the problem, you'll just need to swap two pairs of wires.

Either way, play with the fader and post up what it does.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

I've played all around w/ the fader, the equalizer, everything. Tuning doesn't fix anything. Everything else gains "clarity", but even the front and rear speakers lose a little bass (not NEAR as much as the sail speakers though). As far as everything else goes, i checked all the wiring. Looks OK. How would i be able to tell if there's something wrong w/ the wiring?

I'm taking it in to Sound Waves this week to have them check it out. This is stupid. It simply doesn't make sense, it's just a head unit, a better one at that (and yes i know Xplods aren't "quality", but i'm sure it's still better than the stock HU).
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 AM
On The Tree

interesting read... i am thinking to upgrade the HU or not.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be a stupid suggestion... but do you have the "loudness" turned on? In my 87 (i know big difference), Im running a new pioneer HU and the STOCK speakers. If I turn the loudness off, bass almost goes away. Leaving all the other settings alone, if I turn the loudness on, the bass is too much, and I have to tune it down.

Just a suggestion, although Im sure you've already messed with that.

I agree that it should work just like a speaker level input amp. Ive heard more than a few bad reviews of the xplode units and their power supplies and functions... If you can nab another HU try it...or have that shop test it out for ya.

Good luck!

Justin
Old 07-10-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, i've pretty much pressed every button there is to press on that HU, nothing works. It's weird, all the others speakers work (sound clearer too), but i've lost nearly all my bass... so, wtf?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

im having the same problem...only i didnt use an aftermarket i used a silverado GM 6 disc xm head unit...and now i have no bass.

Any possiblity that the monsoon went out?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

HIGHLY unlikely, because the stock HU works just fine.

So if my guess is correct, NOBODY knows WTF to do w/ this problem?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vrbas
HIGHLY unlikely, because the stock HU works just fine.

So if my guess is correct, NOBODY knows WTF to do w/ this problem?
If you actually tested what the sound does when the fader is moved (as I suggested before) and nothing changes, then what to do is get a HU that works.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, i've f'ed around w/ all the options. Nothing seems to work. Screw it, looks like my only alternative is a new HU. Thanks for the help fellas, i'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Vrbas; 07-12-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

So i went to a few locol shops and asked if ANOTHER aftermarket HU (besides this Xplod) would fix it. They say "probably not" and since most stores are pretty stiff as far as returns/refunds, they won't let me "test it out" w/o buying it first.

So i ask again... WTF happened to my bass w/ nothing more than a simple HU swap??????????
Old 07-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have NEVER ran into this but I haven't used Sony since 1988. My buddy had an Explode in his Jeep and we talked about it today. The stock tape deck in his Bigfoot Edition Jeep without "premium" sound had more bass and depth than his Explode. What model Explode do you have??
The decks I have had in my T/A using the stock Monsoon include a Clarion db455 cd player (old), Clarion dxz755mp, Panasonic cq-df903u cd player (nice just no mp3 play back), and a Pioneer DEH-7700mp(also nice deck). I currently run a JVC EXAD avx1 but that doesn't count as I run it off an aftermarket amp. Out of all those the thinest was the Clarion which was old...still nice though. The newer Clarion was much better and very clean sounding. Plus I was using Infinity speakers at the time that had very little bass response. With the others I had no issues with significant loss of midbass frequencies. I really liked the Panasonic HU's. The Pioneer was nice as well. I would still consider the HU as a possible issue. Car audio shops are not all that when it comes to cars these cars. Most shops don't have a clue about F-bodies in general. Especially when they are telling people they cannot run a new HU without bypassing the Monsoon or a HU change won't make a difference. Every HU sounds different. Even within a brand from model to model in some cases. How could that not make a difference in sound??
One thing you may try that could help is to hook up the speakers directly to the Explode vs. using the factory harness. This would require running new speaker wire but temporarily to see if anything changes...could be a good test!! You will need to remove the door panel to access the speakers. If you need it I can walk you through it. Very simple to do and could be a great way to diagnose your problem or at least eliminate some other variables.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

I appreciate all the help. I think i'm just gonna swap for another HU cause i got some store credit from the place that sold me crap *coughstereoonecough*. What would you suggest in my $150 price range?

The Pioneer DEH-P4900iB looks nice, but the store is asking >$200 for it. Also the Alpine CDE-9881 seems attractive to me. Only problem with buying these at the shop is they are gonna be >$20 more than online, but at the same time i don't have $130 worth of credit online either, so i guess it does balance out to an extent.

As far as bypassing the monsoon amp, my friend had that done w/ his Sony Xplod (they ripped apart his car and everything, going to every speaker and what not), still lost alot of bass (everything else save that Xplod was stock). So, wtf?

I'm STILL afraid that this won't fix the "no bass" issue. But then again, i have to do something w/ the $130 laying around at that store. And i'm just going to say this now, i DO NOT want to revamp my entire sound system (new amp, new speakers, new sub). I'm not interested in getting my budget involved in that. All i'm looking to do is swap the HU, which SHOULD NOT BE THIS HARD! WTF IS WRONG W/ MY CAR!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Vrbas
I appreciate all the help. I think i'm just gonna swap for another HU cause i got some store credit from the place that sold me crap *coughstereoonecough*. What would you suggest in my $150 price range?

The Pioneer DEH-P4900iB looks nice, but the store is asking >$200 for it. Also the Alpine CDE-9881 seems attractive to me. Only problem with buying these at the shop is they are gonna be >$20 more than online, but at the same time i don't have $130 worth of credit online either, so i guess it does balance out to an extent.

As far as bypassing the monsoon amp, my friend had that done w/ his Sony Xplod (they ripped apart his car and everything, going to every speaker and what not), still lost alot of bass (everything else save that Xplod was stock). So, wtf?

I'm STILL afraid that this won't fix the "no bass" issue. But then again, i have to do something w/ the $130 laying around at that store. And i'm just going to say this now, i DO NOT want to revamp my entire sound system (new amp, new speakers, new sub). I'm not interested in getting my budget involved in that. All i'm looking to do is swap the HU, which SHOULD NOT BE THIS HARD! WTF IS WRONG W/ MY CAR!
The simple answer is you are not going to be able to do it easily and cheaply.

I bypassed the monsoon amp in my buddies car, but the system now sounds worse. He's completely replacing his entire system because of it...components, amps, subs, and all.

The problem of course is the monsoon amp. It powers the two speakers in your sail panel. You can bypass it, but unless you have a head unit where you can dedicate two 2-ohm capable channels, it's not going to sound as good as the monsoon setup. I have heard of situations where pros have been able to get the amp to work, but it's not worth the trouble from what i've been told. The problem is that you have to get the amp to switch on and off with the head unit. The amp's power is controlled by the monsoon head unit just like an aftermarket head unit can signal aftermarket amps to turn on, however the aftermarket has made this setup universal to guarantee compatibility between brands. They simply use a low-amp 12V constant signal. The monsoon system does not work this way, it uses a modulated signal. So you need to be able to duplicate that signal (basically translating the constant 12V signal from your aftermarket unit to the modulated signal that the monsoon amp requires.

A possible alternative for you would be to get a cheap, but solid head unit, and a small amp. A small single channel "sub amp" would work because you could series wire the coils, then parallel wire the speakers to the amp, that would result in a standard 4ohm load. It would reduce the power of the amp, but I know those sail panel speakers can't really take all that much power anyway.

My suggestion is to forget the whole idea and stick with your monsoon setup. use the store credit on some toys for home.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Don't need an new amp. Use the Monsoon amp which is working fine.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinID
Don't need an new amp. Use the Monsoon amp which is working fine.
probably not if his bass is gone......

I feel like I'm posting this daily now on one forum or another -- but, the sail panels are strange in our cars...

Here are the things I have read that lead to no bass (or weaker bass): HU swap, sail panel speaker swap, door speaker swap, just randomly dying. In some cases the sails were blown, in others they were fine and it appears to be the amp channel that is bad.

Some things that have fixed the problem by experience and what I've read: new sail speakers -- EVEN IF not blown....try another pair or any speaker see if low freqs. are reproduced.....maybe even try swapping them side to side -- who the hell knows. Sometimes the will randomly work (wire loose somwhere???).....

I don't even know what else to type -- this problem is just so common and unpredictable that you're just going to have to experiment.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Restricted User

If you don't do something to make the amp TURN ON, they are not going to work no matter what you do.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
If you don't do something to make the amp TURN ON, they are not going to work no matter what you do.
he did do something -- he swapped the HU and used the factory speaker-level input wires............

he'd have a lot more complaints if his amp wasn't turning on..
Old 07-14-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, everything works, it's just that i have little to now bass after a HU swap. All the others speakers seems to work fine (doors, tweeters, hatch), they even sound clearer. The sail speakers DO make a little noise (bass), but insignificant compared to stock HU.

*sigh*
Old 07-14-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

One thing that the guys up at a local shop told me was that when i hook up an aftermarket HU w/ the adapter harness or whatever, that the only speakers that play in my car are the tweeters? Do they know what they are talking about or are they full of crap? To better help, look at the pictures at the beginning of the thread. Because after i showed them that harness adapter, they were like "Yeah, when you plug that up the only thing that is going to play in your sound system is the tweeters. You either need to bypass all that monsoon junk or get an adapter harness SPECIFICALLY for your system."

IF they are correct, where could i find that "specific" adapter harness?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

no they're full of crap -- many swap HU only and have had great success (myself included some time ago) -- there is a specific adapter available on Crutchfield......not many at ALL use it so I have no idea if it would help

I would get off the Monsoon though some point in time -- I used to be a believer in using it for some extras (when I didn't realize the problems the amp itself had with channels failing/acting weird) like VERY LITTLE rear fill, some midbass sails.....but with those two and my components amped off of another amp, sub amped off another -- I had all sorts of weird problems with noise, sails altering when they work, CD playback not working, and other strange stuff -- and while some (I don't know if any were) may have been caused by HU or high-level outs or my harness -- as soon as I cut some wires and had components and sub only -- all of those problems went away.