Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No bass w/ HU swap... wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand, maybe in the future sometime but right now my money is dedicated to a cam swap and the components that go w/ that, not audio. I simply want to change the HU.

As far as that harness goes, which one would go w/ these options, or are they pretty much the same?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fp19qar...0&I=500CDE9881

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eQVtOxe...0&I=130DEHP490

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eQVtOxe...0&I=130DEHP390

And while you're at it, would you mind recommending me one of those?

Last edited by Vrbas; 07-14-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JustinID
Don't need an new amp. Use the Monsoon amp which is working fine.
The reason I said this is because his bass still works with the stock head unit. If the amp were toast, then he'd just not get bass period.

Vrbas - Wiring harnesses are all pretty much the same. Just make sure you get the one that is made for our cars. If you talk to someone when you order your stuff and tell them what car you have, they should give you the right one. There's nothing special about it, and the one you have in your car now looks fine. Your new one will look the same.

As for the 3 headunits your looking at, if you think you MIGHT add an amplifier later on, get the more expensive Pioneer unit. It has 4v outputs which are nice to have. If you know for sure you'll never add an amp, save a few bucks and get the the cheaper Pioneer. I wouldn't touch that Alpine... It's more expensive and has worse features than the cheaper Pioneer. If I were you, I'd go with the 4900.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Haha, i went ahead and went w/ the Alpine 9881 (got it for cheap at a local shop w/ my store credit).

I dunno, it's just me i like the way it looks and i've heard good reviews about it. The Pioneer was more expensive and i have nothing against them, just liked the look of the Alpine better. Hope i didn't make the wrong decision

ONE more question: As far as installation goes, is it as simple as plug and play? By that i mean, remove the faceplate from stock HU, remover the screws and pull out the HU, splice up the adapter harness, and reassemble? Talked to a friend of mine who got himself a new HU and he said he dropped it off at a local shop and they installed it for $50. So i'm thinkin' maybe there was more wiring involved if the install cost that much. I'm just very skeptical of everything cause of the bass i lost after the HU swap, sorry.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

HU installs are usually pretty straight forward. The only difficult thing I ran into was a small metal clip that my Monsoon rested against. I just bent it down and out of the way and it was fine. As long as you have the right wiring harness and a mounting kit, the installation should be easy. And at $50 a pop... I should get into that racket. hah

If you know how to solder, I would suggest soddering the wiring harnesses. If you don't , then just make sure you have the wires really well tied together (either good butt connectors or twisted together and use electrical tape or shrink tubing). You want to be sure that you don't have to go back in and trouble shoot this when it's all over.

Also, take your time on the wiring. Double and triple check you have the right ones together and your life will be better in the end. Also note that you'll probably not have a connection specifically for the antenna remote anymore. The easy solution to that is to tie it into the Accy Power line (it's the one that is only on when the car is turned on). I did that on mine and it worked fine.

Good luck! Oh, and enjoy the Alpine unit. It really boils down to personal preference with head units, so you'll probably like it.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Aight, i'll install 2morrow probably. Pretty busy today. Plus i need a dash install kit.

On that note, where can i get the dash install kit with the firebird/trans am logo on it? Someone mentioned that earlier and i'm a fan of eye candy. Any idea where i could find it?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Get it from humount (non-sponsor link removed)

A little pricey for an install kit, but they do look good. I may switch to one at some point.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-16-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Haha, don't mean to be rude but F that. Looked at the final price when it's all said and done, gonna have to pass up on that one. It's a shame, pretty sweet dash-kit, but WAY overpriced if you ask me. Appreciate all the help.