Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wig-wags (police style)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"headlights, tail lights and dash but they flash together not alternating."

So they can flash together if your a fire fighter?? but not separately unless your a cop?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The laws regarding flashing lights and strobes vary from state to state but in general police use white, red, and blue; ambulances and firefighters use white and red; service vehicles (construction, tow trucks, etc.) use white and amber. In Canada, blue lights are reserved for snow plows.

There should be no reason you can't have strobes alternating because none of the state laws I've looked at are that specific about flash patterns - just colors and placement. I use strobes with alternating and even random flash patterns quite regularly. However, alternating headlights have become police-only equipment by convention and it's a good idea to avoid using them.

Also, there are no laws I know of which prohibit the mere ownership or installation of any kind of lights or strobes (or even sirens for that matter). They are perfectly legal for use on private property or off-road. It's only the use of them on the street that will get you arrested.

Disclaimer: The above should not be taken as legal advice. Always check your local laws. I am not a lawyer but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with Whitebird. Everything about laws in this thread other than what he just said is bull ****. I'm not saying it isn't true, I'm saying its bull **** Internet talk from the uninformed who come off souding childish and foolish. If you aren't a cop that's written a ticket or a lawyer that has defended or prosecuted a case, or someone who has spoken directly with the States Attorney (not law enforcement, who may not know or may not tell the truth) about this matter, then you don't know. Even then, the laws would differ in other states, so if you're not from his, then don't try to tell him what's legal and what's not.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Sharpe
...who has spoken directly with the States Attorney (not law enforcement, who may not know or may not tell the truth)...
Interesting that you should mention that. The mere fact that you may have been pulled over or even ticketed/arrested for something doesn't mean it's illegal. I have been pulled over several times because of the headlight modulator on my motorcycle (legal in all 50 states and Canada under federal laws) and even been ticketed once despite showing the officer a copy of the federal statute that I always carry on the bike. Obviously I got the ticket dismissed but the point is that LEOs don't always know the specifics of all the various vehicle codes they might come upon. That's what led me to read the statutes for Florida and all the nearby states that I might travel through.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I believe it, man.

What's rough is finding legislation on N2O. My states attorney's office wouldn't look into it for me a few years back; they just said "it's illegal" out of lazyness when I know it's not, and know that no ordinances are ever that simple or black and white. Now, we have a new one, but i don't want to bother him with it.

Sorry to get the thread further off topic. They look great man, and since I'm a fireman, I'm thinking about getting some. Thanks for the link!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by b.lee
"headlights, tail lights and dash but they flash together not alternating."

So they can flash together if your a fire fighter?? but not separately unless your a cop?
That is correct according to the NCSHP. Alternating lights are to be used on law enforcement vehicles only.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Agreed with Whitebird. Everything about laws in this thread other than what he just said is bull ****. I'm not saying it isn't true, I'm saying its bull **** Internet talk from the uninformed who come off souding childish and foolish. If you aren't a cop that's written a ticket or a lawyer that has defended or prosecuted a case, or someone who has spoken directly with the States Attorney (not law enforcement, who may not know or may not tell the truth) about this matter, then you don't know. Even then, the laws would differ in other states, so if you're not from his, then don't try to tell him what's legal and what's not.

I was just giving him a heads up on using them. I can PROMISE YOU that pulling another vehicle over with them is illegal. It is impersonating a police officer and can get you in major trouble.

BTW I like the way the lights look as stated earlier I had them and still would if they were legal in NC.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by exstanger
That is correct according to the NCSHP. Alternating lights are to be used on law enforcement vehicles only.
Interesting...this appears to be another case of the police stating a law the way they wish it was rather than what is actually written. I have read the NC statutes (chapter 20 relates to motor vehicles) and there is no such restriction on flashing lights. In fact, it specifically permits red flashing lights for fire fighters "regardless of whether members of that fire department are paid or voluntary" (20-130.1.(b)(8)). There is no mention of how the lights flash - alternating or synchronized - just the color.

Again, flashing headlights are a completely different thing from strobes. For the most part, strobes can flash in any pattern (alternating or otherwise) but alternating headlights are generally reserved for police use only - it's accepted practice even though there is no law specifically covering them.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

I looked for it last night also. I'll see if I can get the trooper that did our training last night which law he was referring to. He did admit that the trooper that pulled me was not from this area and had no right to detain me for it. He said he had only been out of school for ~1 month and has already written 1000 tickets. 90% seat belt. He also arrested a girl for her drivers license being expired (claimed it was a parole violation and she wasn't even on parole). His sergent said he wouldn't be on the force much longer.