Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Total audio newb

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total audio newb

Hi there guys,

I've decided that I'd like to give my car a nicer sound recently (audio wise, lol), and was wondering if anyone could help me out?

I have a friend who knows how install stuff, so my budget is strictly parts only.

My Camaro came with a Pioneer Satellite radio thing and an aftermarket faceplate, but I'd like to switch out EVERYTHING, as I don't like the radio in it now.

My budget is around ~600, maybe 700 MAX.

Any help would be fantastic, I don't know if Rockford Fosgate sounds better than Alpine or anything

And this is for speakers, and amp and sub(s)
Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

I am a huge fan of alpine and infinity. they are good if you are on a budget. I am sure others in here can give you better info than I but I did all my speakers in infinity and a alpine head unit. $ was a issue for me so I was able to get all of my stuff cheap from friends and a local flea market, (I know it sounds ghetto but all the stuff was in the original packaging and for wayyy cheap, must have "fell off of a truck"). For 600-700 you should be able to get a decent set-up.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

$600 is a very, very strict budget for a total sound system. You can do a system with no sub for that much, but for all the speakers and a sub you'll be looking at more than $600, unless you find some great deals.
I'd do:
Pioneer DEH-5900iB - $180
6.5" Phoenix Gold RSd components up front - $129
Rear fill if your choice
Can keep it Phoenix Gold with the RSd coax - $49
Can go with a Pioneer Rev - $95
Subthump stealth box if you just want a single 10 - $129 plus shipping
Sub choices:
11kv.2
11Ov.2
SS RL-i
JL 10w3v2
Dayton MkII
Dayton High Fidelity
Fi Q
Considering your budget, I'd go with something from eD, but the RL-i would be my first pick over all.

Amps will vary depending on sub choice. The price of this system is already at your limit though without the amps and wiring.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

For the deck I'd get Panasonic. Easily the best HU for the money. Then I'd get a pioneer. They are decently priced.

I'm not sure if you want a sub, but good luck replacing all the speakers, head unit and buying a sub on a 600 dollar budget. It could be done, but not really worth it, cuz if you are going to spend that much money, you may as well spend a little more and get a great system, which you can't do.

For now I'd just upgrade the head unit with a Panasonic.

I have this one: Panasonic CQ-C8303U and I'm very happy with it.

Here's a list of other Panasonics: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...facturerID=627

Now if you spent 150 on the Panasonic then you have 400 left over and you could put that toward a very nice sub and amp if you do enough shopping. If you want me to recommend something, simply ask and I'll try to find something for you.

Or you can do what I did and buy the head unit and replace all the factory speakers. It still sounds pretty good, but you won't have thundering bass like some people prefer.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pioneer > Panasonic
Old 08-06-2007, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95bat
$600 is a very, very strict budget for a total sound system. You can do a system with no sub for that much, but for all the speakers and a sub you'll be looking at more than $600, unless you find some great deals.
I'd do:
Pioneer DEH-5900iB - $180
6.5" Phoenix Gold RSd components up front - $129
Rear fill if your choice
Can keep it Phoenix Gold with the RSd coax - $49
Can go with a Pioneer Rev - $95
Subthump stealth box if you just want a single 10 - $129 plus shipping
Sub choices:
11kv.2
11Ov.2
SS RL-i
JL 10w3v2
Dayton MkII
Dayton High Fidelity
Fi Q
Considering your budget, I'd go with something from eD, but the RL-i would be my first pick over all.

Amps will vary depending on sub choice. The price of this system is already at your limit though without the amps and wiring.
I really like those Dayton!!!! And as was said....600 for an entire car can be done...but you will be cutting corners on quality.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pioneer > Panasonic
yea right
Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
yea right
You have any actual proof they're better, other than "mine sounds great"?

Didn't think so...
Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have any actual proof they're better, other than "mine sounds great"?

Didn't think so...
Ask any audiophile. If you want to pay more for a product that is no better than the other then go ahead. I just upgraded from a Pioneer to a Panasonic. I know they are better, they have more options and features at a cheaper price. What's the point of arguing which is better anyways when Eclipse and Clarion are both better. This is like comparing which v6 engine is best.

Last edited by allbaugh_04; 08-07-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Every audio person on this site that I have talked to including ones with businesses recommend Alpine and Pioneer, I havent heard any good mention of Panasonic anywhere... just my experience, which is why I got the 6900UB from Pioneer.

Of course if you want to spend thousands there are probably other options but not many here want that.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Found this on an audio forum proving the point I was trying to make...

Originally posted on 02-12-2006 by John66
I have Heard that panasonic is not all that great on sq. But that is hear tell... I was not really to hot for the alpines anyway but was just wondering if they were the way to go.

salcedohumberto:
panasonic head units have come a long way from what they used to be, and sq on them is very good, as good as pioneer and many other brands.

most of the ppl havnt even tryed high end panasonic head units, and just talk bad on them cuase its panasonic...but ive used em and still and will continue to, performance is great, easy to use, price is affordable and lots of tunning options for sq.

compare:

Panasonic CQ-C9700U
- 5v Outputs
- 9 bands eq
- CD signal to noise 106db
price: +/- 250$

Pioneer Premier DEH-680MP
- 4v Outputs
- 7 bands eq
- CD signal to noise N/A
price: +/- 240$

Alpine CDA-9855
- 4v Outputs
- 5 bands eq
- CD Signal to noise 105db
price: +/- 350$

your looking to spend more $ obviously but you can see here why i was saying good stuff about panasonic head units. head to head to similar price head units it comes with more bang for the buck plus more tunning options....

You definitely found the top decks within your options in my opinion-minus the JVC. I would go with the Panasonic. It has a bigger screen and doesn't have that control **** that gets annoying to use after a while with all of its directions and whatnot. Other than that, it's up to you.

Like I said, it's up to you, but my preference would be the Panasonic.

i just bought the panasonic cq c7401u abotu a week ago it made a huge difference to the sound of my car stock speakers i was going to go with the pioneer but this one seemed eaier to navigate through options and use.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Teching In

well, here's my setup, know your on a budget, but here goes,
Head unit-can't help you there, i've liked pioneer for some time but my head unit was over 1k,
Subs-Audiobahn, have heard MTX, Kicker, and various others, but for the money, audiobahn is great.
Amp- Your preference, i would go alpine...audiobahn has decently priced amps, but that's just me because i'm a audiobahn freak. and as for the door speakers, and rear speakers, i replaced mine with pioneer, but that's just me....here's a pic of my install...

Old 08-07-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ask any audiophile. If you want to pay more for a product that is no better than the other then go ahead. I just upgraded from a Pioneer to a Panasonic. I know they are better, they have more options and features at a cheaper price. What's the point of arguing which is better anyways when Eclipse and Clarion are both better. This is like comparing which v6 engine is best.
I've spoken to many people who know a lot more than you and I about car audio... they've never once mentioned Panasonic.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've spoken to many people who know a lot more than you and I about car audio... they've never once mentioned Panasonic.
Yea and they would mention the almighty Pioneer Premier right...
Old 08-07-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea and they would mention the almighty Pioneer Premier right...
Although I am sensing some sarcasm and douchebaggery in your response, I will still say yes, the 880PRS has come up.

edit - Also, the 6900UB is close to the 680MP, but has a USB connection and is $199.

Last edited by 95bat; 08-08-2007 at 12:09 AM.