Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Going to build a stealth box!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to build a stealth box!

I have a max caliber 12" dvc sub, and it recommends at least 1 cu.ft and a 2.8" port diameter (with 7"3 in length). I believe most people here average around .7 cu. ft. with their boxes...with this suffice for this sub?
Old 08-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, no. If it recomends "at least" 1.0cu.ft. of airspace volume that's the minimum requirement. It will make sound in a smaller enclosure but it won't hit like it's supposed to. Have a look at this installation that Mike did: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/766064-complete-custom-system-install-93-ta-i-did-lots-pics.html
Please note how much airspace volume that enclosure is using. It extends not only forward but down into the spare tire well.
You may not need quite that much airspace volume but most 12" subs require much more airspace volume than a 10" sub. That's why prefab stealth enclosures are always 10" subs. Even some 10" subs require more than .6-.7 though.
The up side is since your building your own...you can make it have more airspace volume!! It will take more effort but it can be done...you'll just have to either build it on the passenger side or extend it up into the side of the hatch area behind the plastic on the drivers side. Good luck!!
Old 08-15-2007, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info, I am debating trying what mike did, or trying on the driver side. It would be nice to retain my spare tire. Then again that much airspace would kick ***.

Has anyone tried extending up above the wheel well on the drivers side??
Old 08-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

Yes, that's what I meant when I said "extend it up into the side of the hatch area behind the plastic on the drivers side". LOL!! I've seen it done successfully. That's what I'd do if I were going to try and run a 12" sub and needed my spare.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

When I made my own fiberglass drivers side stealthbox, I tried to go up as far forward as possible, but you can only get .02-.05 extra by fiberglassing up to the rear speaker/ seatbelt retractor. Be careful when 'glassing down into the well, as you cannot go down as far as you would like, because you would not be able to remove the hardened 'glass; unless you made a two-section box like Mike did in his install. If your going to go through that much trouble building a box (two-section) I would just build it on the pass side. I am using a 12" on the drivers side; the box is .72 cubic feet, the sub takes up something like .2, but the sub is designed for .5 to 1.0 cube sealed enclosures. It gets down pretty low, but I feel it would've sounded much better had I ditched the spare and went w/ the pass. side box like Mike did. here are a few install pics I snapped of my box, as I was making it:

Last edited by Snootch; 08-15-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Banned

That's exactly the one I was looking for to make an example of!! I've seen those pics before. That turned out nice as well!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

that looks nice man, I read your guide awhile back. It's too bad I need more airspace, that would have been the spot I wanted to put it. Owell...i'll just get my CAA activated and I won't have to worry about a spare haha..free unlimited tows! woot
Old 08-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Banned

I don't have a spare in mine because I run 2 stealth enclosures. I carry a tire repair kit and a portable 12v air compressor. It fits under my seat and I have used it before. Worked better than a spare. Didn't even have to jack the car up.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

i'll have to pick one of those up, heard they work great. 2 stealth enclosures? How does that sound?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

i just installed my driver and passenger stealth enclosures and it sounds great and pounds for two tens.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Hey Snootch, could you possibly link some good sites on the basics of building a glass box. thanks!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

im going to try and fab up something similar to this
Old 08-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by waltonscott
i'll have to pick one of those up, heard they work great. 2 stealth enclosures? How does that sound?
Sounds great!! I used to run 2 JL Audio W3V2's. I am currently running RE Audio SE's. I am about to buy the CDT SQ's to see what they can do!!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by transambandit
That's pretty cool!! I love old school Fosgate amps although I may be going JBL in the near future but I am currently running a Power 600.5. Is that sub an HE-2 or an HX-2?? Or something else?!!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:48 AM
Launching!

where can i get some seats like that and how much would they run me? i have a white car with that hideous red cloth interior...

edit: just saw you said you wanted to fab one up like that, which probably means thats not your car....
Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

That's sick...Did you do up the measurements yet? My sub depth is big, but that would be neat to pull off. I'd prolly put my amps on an amp rack instead, but damn that's an innovative approach for air space.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ls1Envy
Hey Snootch, could you possibly link some good sites on the basics of building a glass box. thanks!
http://fbodyaudio.com/articleviewer....tealthbox.tech

http://www.ajquick.com/cars/tutorials/fiberglass.php

http://fbodyaudio.com/articleviewer....cle=glass.tech

http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/
Old 08-18-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by waltonscott
That's sick...Did you do up the measurements yet? My sub depth is big, but that would be neat to pull off. I'd prolly put my amps on an amp rack instead, but damn that's an innovative approach for air space.
well because i want to mount an xbox also i think i am going to put the xbox on the drivers side standing up with 2 amps next to it kinda on top of each other and the sub on the pass side. Dont know when im going to get around to doing it though, hopefully i can start it next week.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

I like the idea of using that empty space, however I wouldn't want someone to see all that back there and break into my car.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PERFECT Z28
I like the idea of using that empty space, however I wouldn't want someone to see all that back there and break into my car.
It probably wouldnt be too hard to put some sort of cover on it, or even better cut off the bottom of a large duffle bag and it could easily slip over it.

Quick Reply: Going to build a stealth box!