Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Which wire to tap for emergency brake switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which wire to tap for emergency brake switch?

I just bought a JVC CD/DVD player and am going to install it myself. I need to tap the E brake switch for it to play DVD's.

Which wire is it? Does my 00 TA have only one parking switch or two? Is it exposed or loomed? I hope I can just remove the shifter boot and not the whole console.

Thanks!

John
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

to tell u the truth, u can just ground it and it will work, if u wanna do it through the ebrake, there is a switch at the base of your ebrake that has normally 1-2 wires going to it, test the wires to see which one has a -ground signal when the ebrake is up and nothing when it is down.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ultraz
to tell u the truth, u can just ground it and it will work, if u wanna do it through the ebrake, there is a switch at the base of your ebrake that has normally 1-2 wires going to it, test the wires to see which one has a -ground signal when the ebrake is up and nothing when it is down.
Ok, that's even better then. Can I just attach it to the ground in the harness?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:11 AM
12 Second Club

i have mind attached to the a random ground bolt, the DVD's play but when i first turn on the car is says that i have the ground installed wrong...so i am not sure why it does that. Working on finding a fix
Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

yes, you can have it grounded on the black wire on the harness.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by navymitch12
i have mind attached to the a random ground bolt, the DVD's play but when i first turn on the car is says that i have the ground installed wrong...so i am not sure why it does that. Working on finding a fix

Try scraping away the paintl under the bolt where you attach the wire.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

already did....i will move it to a better ground maybe just tap it into a wire, you thinking its not seeing a good enough ground to be right but enough ground to work?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Launching!

one thing before you go and do that....

do some research on the internet and usually the nicer in-dash screens have a "code" you can put in to get a secret menu where you can disable the e-brake system. we did it all the time on the Jensens at my job.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball

do some research on the internet and usually the nicer in-dash screens have a "code" you can put in to get a secret menu where you can disable the e-brake system. we did it all the time on the Jensens at my job.

Nicer and Jensen dont belong in the same sentence. Ive never heard of a SECRET menu with any screens that I have installed. Jensen is worse because they require a sequence to let video play. It goes - ground for 1-2 seconds, NOThing for 2 seconds, then - ground again and leave it.

New pioneer navs and other systems have a sticker over 2 small solder points which allow the user to solder them together and allowing the gyro, on screen speedo, video, and nav to function fully.

Other units like alpines need a small circuit or relay to work.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:27 AM
12 Second Club

more info on these 2 solder points?

i have a avic-n3 do you know if mine has one?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

yes it does, theres a small sticker usually the size of a kidney bean or a little smaller. Underneath you will see 2 small solder points
Old 08-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball

I got a JENSEN what code do I use?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Be aware that while it's okay to bypass interlocks to enable navigation control (it is the passenger doing the programming...right?), any post with instructions on how to enable watching video while driving WILL be deleted. Not only is it dangerous and illegal, it's an incredibly stupid thing to do. Not quite as dumb as texting while driving but right up there on the list. I don't care if some video-watching maniac runs off the road and kills himself (Darwin at work)...it's the innocent people he takes with him that concern me.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Yea but for those of us without tv's in the head rests and stuff like that having this one screen in the dash is the only thing for the other people in the car.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Gee...I'd hate to think you might have to suffer with the more usual ways to keep entertained on the road - like music or conversation - that might take too much effort compared to watching the "boob tube".

Sorry, that's a losing argument as far as I'm concerned. Maybe, just maybe, a DVD player might be useful for children in the back seat (although that's still a cop-out) but a portable player is a lot cheaper for that purpose.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:39 AM
12 Second Club

i agree with you man not trying to argue really just stating the other side...mine will be used for gps only while driving i hate seeing people on their phones while driving so the tv is just one more thing adding to the list of stupid **** people do but i just like having the choice of throwing something in to shut up a passenger...i just like having full control of the system.

Quick Reply: Which wire to tap for emergency brake switch?