Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Very mad no bass

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007 | 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well first off I am an installer for a "BIG BOX" store. That doesn't mean that the service is ****, and I don't know what I am talking about. I get so sick of someone judging a book by its cover. For instance, WhiteBird00 you could be at a stoplight with what you think at the time is a Civic with a fart tube. But then the light goes green and you two take off only to find that the gay civic with a fully built turbo motor just spanked your bolt-on T/A's AZZ! So don't make generic statements about something that you have little to no clue about.

As for something a little more on the subject. The amp does not have to be bypassed. Should it? Absolutely! And do you guys know why? Well I am about to tell you non believers!

If you keep the stock monsoon amp the headunits signal runs through the monsoon amp which also acts as a crossover before the signal actually gets to the speakers. There are numerous things to actually consider when dealing with car audio besides watts, and resistance. Things like S/N(signal to noise ratio) and THD(total harmonic distortion) are just a few important factors to look at. I however do not know the specs on the factory monsoon amp, but I can gurantee that they are no where even close to decent. Use the monsoon amp get monoon results. Bypass the amp and do it right, it may cost you more but is worth it if you are looking to upgrade audio and not just a headunit.
Old 09-10-2007 | 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to agree with hating on how people generalize that all big box stores are horriable, I used to install for circuit city and we did quality work and rolled out some very high end cars actually. We had one guy that had amazing glassing skills as well. On that note I gotta disagree unless you are replacing everything in the camaro I feel you are better off leaving the monsoon amp in
Old 09-10-2007 | 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As I said, if you want monsoon results(stock) use the factory amp. But bypass it if you are doing an audio upgrade (speakers, etc.)
Old 09-10-2007 | 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I should have been more specific, you are correct if you are changing speakers at all you need to bypass the monsoon
Old 09-11-2007 | 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

In general, out of thousands of technicians at big box stores across the country, the majority are significantly under-qualified. That doesn't mean that they all are. But the reputation of big box installers doesn't just appear out of nowhere - it comes from many people experiencing sloppy installations and other problems. Of course there are good (even excellent) installers at some of those places but they tend to be in the minority. Part of that is lack of training or experience and part is from the "get them out the door cheap" environment.

I don't know you and I have not commented on your abilities. What I said was that your comment sounded like those made by typical big box installers.

And, once again, you're wrong. The amp is probably the only really decent component of the Monsoon system. The vast majority of the distortion and lack of clarity in the factory system is caused by the head unit. When connected to a decent head unit and some good speakers, the amp does as good a job as any comparable aftermarket amp. Sure, there are better amps on the market and you can do some amazing things when replacing the entire system but someone on a budget can still get very good sound out of an aftermarket head unit and speakers connected to the Monsoon amp.
Old 09-11-2007 | 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So by comparable aftermarket amp do you mean brands like VR3, American Legacy, and BOSS audio? You definitely hold a higher music standard than me!
Old 09-11-2007 | 09:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by transaman98
So by comparable aftermarket amp do you mean brands like VR3, American Legacy, and BOSS audio? You definitely hold a higher music standard than me!
No, smart ***, I was thinking of low end Pioneer and Kenwood amps.
Old 09-11-2007 | 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the factory equipment was all designed together using cheap parts to achieve a liveable result. If any of the "factory" equipment from the monsoon system is present in a new system (i.e. headunit, and speakers) the result is going to be no different than factory.

Not picking fights here but I am assuming you have installed just a headunit in your car. No new speakers, and kept the factory amp.
Old 09-11-2007 | 10:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

No, I have an aftermarket head unit, eD subs in the sail panels, and CDT components in the doors - all running through the Monsoon amp. There is a significant difference from stock.
Old 09-11-2007 | 11:45 AM
Banned

I also had a similar setup to Whitebirds at one point. Using an aftermarket HU with the Monsoon and aftermarket speakers. In fact I've had 4 HU's in this car, 2 with the Monsoon and all with several different sets of speakers all powered from the Monsoon and NEVER had an issue. Upgraded HU and quality aftermarket speakers sounds great with the Monsoon. Add an amp and sub to the mix, sounds even better.
I have friends that have the Monsoon on the same type of set up as Whitebird that don't have any issues either. It is BS that you HAVE TO bypass the Monsoon. In fact I would say that the vast majority of members on here with upgraded systems have a very similar set up using the Monsoon. Fact is, most installers have no clue what the impedance is on these speakers, what sounds come from where or how the wiring is in an F-body. NOT their fault really considering GM's logic with DVC 6.5 subs, 2ohms speakers mixed with 4ohm speakers, coaxials (Camaro doors) that have seperate tweeter and midrange wiring. It really is unorthodox from an installers point of view. So when in doubt, bypass it and cover your ***. Plus you get someone who doesn't know anything about their cars audio walking into Circuit City or somewhere purchasing speakers that don't work with their car. They just see a nice set on the wall and say "put that in" having no idea what they are asking an installer to do to make that work in that application.
Bottom line is that you can use the Monsoon with aftermarket speakers and HU's and it is an excuse that it cannot be done used by installers that just don't want to deal with an F-bodies wiring quirks when it comes to doing aftermarket speakers. I had significant increase in SQ when using an aftermarket HU with good speakers through the Monsoon and a nice sub and amp combo. I simply wanted more out of it later on down the road and did ditch my Monsoon because at that point I couldn't go any further with that set up. Same thing we do with heads, cams, etc. We get used to that and want more!!
Pentavolvo and Transaman...you guys are NOT what I'd consider the norm in a high volume type retail store as far as installers go. Some are lucky enough to have installers like yourselves that know the business and have the training/experience. Most of the guys I've seen here at Best Buys and Brandsmart...no way I'd would have let them touch my car. I have heard the horror stories coming from some of these places.
I see where your coming from as far as ditching the Monsoon to acheive the best sound..I did eventually do that as well and went the 5-channel route...but some don't require that level of performance from their audio systems. For that, keeping the Monsoon is a viable option with some simple upgrades for better than stock results. Hopefully this can help and not stir the pot anymore than it has been stirred.
-Ian
Old 09-11-2007 | 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

keep in mind the stock HU has an auto loud circuit, which automatically boosts mainly lower frequencies when at lower volumes and automatically shuts off when a certain volume level is reached. This is why it may seem like you are lacking low volume "fullness" or bass with your new HU.
Old 09-11-2007 | 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the stock HU (to be replaced) and the monsoon amp and have replaced a couple speakers so far. The difference is definitely audible. Even if the amp isn't all that great better speakers will still sound better.

Too bad the monsoon amp wasn't 4 ohm to work better with typical aftermarket speakers, otherwise I might keep it in there. But since it is 2 ohm and has the weird front speaker connections I'm ditching it.

Maybe I'll sell it, along with the stock HU. Anyone want a stock monsoon amp and CD player HU? The HU is a little rough (some cracks on the little fader/bass/treble ***** and the 2 and 5 button backlight is apparently burned out, got it that way) but it works fine. I'd let this stuff go cheap
Old 09-11-2007 | 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well everyone has their own opinion. I believe that alot of people keep the monsoon amp because it is a cheaper route than doing an aftermarket 4 ch amp. I prefer to bypass it due to the fact that majority of the f-body owners that come into my bay usually end up with not only a new hu and speakers, but a 4ch and dynamat to go w/ it.
Old 09-11-2007 | 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kinda off subject but Best Buy is now classing their car install bay guys as Geek Squad Techs (aka *** Squad) We are going to have to wear orange jumpsuits and everything!
Old 09-11-2007 | 01:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

kinda off subject but Best Buy is now classing their car install bay guys as Geek Squad Techs (aka *** Squad) We are going to have to wear orange jumpsuits and everything!
You're less likely to get run over by a customer that way, doncha know! It's all for your own safety!
Old 09-11-2007 | 01:24 PM
Banned

Those guys have plenty of scratch on hand for an upgrade like that. You said it yourself, it's cheaper to just keep it.
I have a special on 5-channel amps right now for those who want to get rid of it and the majority would rather upgrade just the speakers and keep the Monsoon. F-bodies are getting cheaper and younger people are buying them and don't have that kind of money for those kind of upgrades.
For HU, speakers, dynamat, and a 4-channel with amp install kit and HU mounting kit, extra wire for the speakers, and installation labor...your over $1000.00 right there or damn close to it. Alot of these guys don't have that kind of cash for that kind of system. They just want to replace some blown speakers. I've had guys on here think I was crazy for asking $60.00 for installing door components. Best Buys charges $65.00 for a component install just for the labor. I was asking $259.00 total for the install and the CDT components.
Honestly, I think we are looking at more of an economic issue than a sound issue when you really think about it!!
Old 09-11-2007 | 01:30 PM
Banned

Gotta love corporate decisions from some marketing department of a big company!! Although it is kinda funny...for us anyway!!
Old 09-11-2007 | 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

we were actually saying they should put our employee number on the jumpsuits insead of our names so we look like inmates!! I think I might pick up a pair of white and black striped shoes to go along with the outfit.
Old 09-11-2007 | 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

cc's install will no longer be called roadshop but.... firedog, their half assed attempt at geek squad
Old 09-11-2007 | 09:26 PM
Banned

we were actually saying they should put our employee number on the jumpsuits insead of our names so we look like inmates!! I think I might pick up a pair of white and black striped shoes to go along with the outfit.
Now that would be funny as hell with your "inmate" number on it. Although the "corporate guys" probably wouldn't like seeing inmates working on cars...oh wait...they already do that..even funnier. Can you imagine corporate guy coming for a store visit and seeing you guys in "convict" gear. This is our new work release program for inmates looking for a career when they get out!!!