Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HDTV Vizio vs Westinghouse

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's true, many lower cost units have no tuner at all (meaning you need a cable box, vcr, or tuner). But the vast majority of people buying HDTV's use an HDTV box from their cable or satellite provider, so it is not a problem. The market has done a pretty good job as referring to them as monitors, to help clarify.

Some HDTV's still only have regular analog tuners, like all the old standard TV's out there. Not very useful.

What you really want, is a set with a digital QAM tuner. Those sets will pick up HDTV signals over the air, and also typically pick up some HDTV programming even with a straight basic cable connection (no cable box). Personally if I were buying a set nowadays I would be looking for it to include a QAM tuner, just in case your situation or needs change and basic cable or over the air stuff becomes your only choice. There are still lots of people that are perfectly happy with HDTV over the air and would never consider paying for cable or satellite service... and it is very nice for some if you can just pay very low basic cable prices and still tune in some HD channels (networks).

Also, best practices recommend that new Plasma's are broken in for the first 100 hours of use. Typically recommended that brightness and contrast be toned down to 50% or less of their max settings (most all sets come with terrible settings as defaults), and avoid using letterbox format or other static images like network logos or ticker bars. I am not an authority on this but it is supposed to make a large difference in the long-term performance of the set and decrease the chance for burn-in. I figured even if it only makes a slight difference it is worth the hassle, and just set my new sets up accordingly and leave them on for a week or so straight.

I still think a medium to good quality plasma is best for actual TV and movie watching, but LCD's are definitely catching up. Premium LCD's are almost even.

Last edited by todddchi; 11-09-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 42" visio lcd and I love it, to read up more on this subject, go to a fourm that deals with this subject; http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166 and read more, both are considred to be good.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

How long have you had the Vizio for? have you compared the picture to other name brands?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Got it in jan 07, I read up on the brand name prior to the purchase and have not had any problems, normally someone is around my house all day so its on from 6am until midnight most days. Can't beat them for the price, IMHO. Once I got it I set the colors with a setup disc called AVIA, search the web for this, colors look life like. I plan to get one a lil larger and move this one to my bedroom soon, I would not hesitate to get another Vizio. YMMV

However, the westinghouse 1080 sets have gotten good reviews to on the AVS forum has well.

Research, like everything in life worth having.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

FYI-Wallymarts had some 50" vizio plasmas on sale last friday for $998!!!! I got one too, who would have thought you could get a 50" plas for under $1k!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 47" LG LCD (47LB5D), 1080p...it's a very very nice TV, but it's about double the price of what you're looking at...the way I decided though...watch some sports stuff on the TV's at the stores...wether or not you like sports...what I found with the cheaper TV's, when basketball or football players are running on the TV, the cheaper ones get pixelated around their feet, the better TV's don't...

The reason I didn't even look at Plasmas...they use a LOT more electricity...the DLP's aren't THAT much of a footprint...but the LCD's are still better.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound quality of Westinghouse blows. I don't know anything about the Visio
Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
but the LCD's are still better.
No, they're not. Especially not for sports.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first choices for LCD would be a Sharp Aquos, Sony, AKAI, Toshiba - but since those are not on your list; I would go with the LG - they make a very high quality LCD with a great pic for the price.

I have both a Sharp and LG LCD and am very happy with both

Plus I might add that I would NOT buy ANY type of TV that had the word 'Westinghouse' in the title - I've seen the various mfg. right up against one another, and the westinghouse, Phillips, RCA have the worst screens out of all.

Just my opinion...
Old 12-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
My first choices for LCD would be a Sharp Aquos, Sony, AKAI, Toshiba - but since those are not on your list; I would go with the LG - they make a very high quality LCD with a great pic for the price.
Take a look at the LG Opus line. Its above all those you listed and is only available at higher end dealers (not Best Buy or Circuit City). Samsung also makes some high-end sets. Samsung and LG are the top two LCD manufacturers. They are the only two brands I'd consider for a middle-to-high-end LCD.

The only Sony products I would consider are a PS3 (too expensive for what it is, unfortunately.... since when is $400-$600 acceptable for a game console?!) and a 3CCD mid/high video Camera (its a physically larger camera in the $2k+ price range, my father has one, I don't know the model, but it looks like the one Paige Davis used on Trading Spaces). Nothing else.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-17-2007 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: HDTV Vizio vs Westinghouse