Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

how to make a fiberglass sub box?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to make a fiberglass sub box?

well i removed the spare tire and in that nice big open irregular area id like to build a fiberglass box.

any insite on how to make a mold?

how thick should i go with the fiberglass? (its going to be a 12" L7 powered by a power 800.)

i was going to cut a wood face plate but how do i attach that to the fiberglass?

any hints tips or tricks are greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 06-09-2003, 08:25 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: how to make a fiberglass sub box?

If you've never done it before it's probably best to have it professionally done. But you'd have to make a wooden trim piece that would go around the surrounding area of the trunk. Then drape cloth over it to form the shape you want. Then proceed with laying the fiberglass and resin down. That's basically the summary of it. But resin is a pain in the ***, messy, sticks to everything, impossible to get off, smells horrible. You've got to know what your doing and do it in a well ventilated area.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:33 AM
TECH Regular

I agree. I made my own for my 12" on the driver's side... but I've made a few before and knew what I was doing. "Don't be afraid to grind a hunk off and try again" is probably the best advice I could give. I've personally found that aluminum foil works well to mold into an irregular space...
Old 06-10-2003, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.fbodyaudio.com/articlevie...tealthbox.tech

great article. check out the homepage too.

Ryan.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Here's another how-to I found... I was going to post the F-Body audio one, but slow beat me to it..
http://web.njit.edu/%7Ecas1383/glassing2/
And this post is very helpful...
http://www.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/u...;f=32;t=000549
Good luck on your install!
Old 06-10-2003, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks! some very good links. well i tryed in the car and said screw that!!!!!! i then used card board and foil tape and made a mold. then i cut my mdf and lined things up and foil taped the mdf to the mold. now im waiting on my latex gloves to arrive(free bees) and off i go! man with a 12" L7 theres just enough wood to screw to! hopefully it wont detonate!!!
ill update later this evening
Old 06-12-2003, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you ta;k about some messy crap!! im still adding layers. the inside of the box is a little hairy. the choped matt is a pain to work with! im probally up to about 4 layers. it still has a little flex to it so im adding a couple more. got to pick up a speaker wiring terminal and cut that in still. hopefully this holds up. im in ny and so for im probally up to 160.00 in material. my limited input on this ....

paint brushes... dollar store (got 3 for a buck)
latex clothes ... dollar store (12 for a buck)

ill keep ya posted. maybe i can get the sub in there tonight and see if it blows apart! ill laugh then cry then take a sledgehammer to my neighbors 5.0! lol
Old 06-13-2003, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its done and it slams!! i just did a try out in a 93 daytona(all the wiring is already there) and with no poly fill the sub drops hard!its an kicker L7 12" in a homemade fiberglass box about 5/8 tp 3/4 inch thick,powerd by a rockford fosgate power 800(no caps and car off) with about a foot and a 1/4 of air space!im really impressed. ive always had multiple subs(up to 6 L7's in my daytona) and even though this doesnt rattle your spine it booms! ill be pulling my interior out to sound deaden and run the wiring hopefully tonight. then all thats left is to cut the hatch panel and fab up a grill( idesigned the box so it will sit behind the panel for a cleaner look. ill keep ya posted!
Old 06-14-2003, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i just got done sound deadning the car(except the doors as of now)and am slowly piecing in the interior. the sub is in and i just couldnt wait so i did a quick and sleazy hook up(even though the seats arent in the car yet) and oh my GOD!!!!!! i have the bass on the deck all the way down, the gain on the amp is up, but the gain on my line level converter is almost all the way down,t-tops off, and it is crazy!!! way to much bass! the fosgate bass boost is all the way down also. i got a lot of work ahead of me for balancing this thing out! it is crazy. my box is simular to the fiberglass box on f-body audio but bigger. i got pretty close to 1.5 cubic feet of air space and i went almost 3/4" thick. i had to shoe horn it in there but it goes in and out with a little persuation. next i got to cut my hatch panel and fab up a grill.(the upper left corner of the box will stick out a little and being so ugly i want to cover it) besides everyone has there panel cut and sub exposed. im going to be different and try to find some ebony grill cloth and try to make it look a little sleeker.oh well thanks for listening. i was kicking myself for addind some weight but man does it boom!

Quick Reply: how to make a fiberglass sub box?