Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Looking for a nice indash non flip .. minimal work

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a nice indash non flip .. minimal work

So Ive searched and Ive searched.

Im looking for something that I can have in my dash.. watch movies on.. play music store pics and vids. w/e w/e..

Ive seen countless threads about double dins and singles and flip screens..

I want something thats gonna fit in my din (99 Bird) and not require me to have to hack everything up and fiberglass everything to get it to work.

anyone got any ideas? I tried searching but havent found what im really looking for yet..
Old 11-05-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

jvc kd-avc1 or avc2 are both 3 or 3.5" screens that are pretty good. Ebay has them for around 250-300 new. Power accoustics put out a 5" screen i think its ptid5300 or something like that, but i think you need to remove the crosspiece on the radio bezel for it to fit.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually...they are the avX1 and avX2. Not avC. Just so you know what you are looking for. I have the JCV EXAD avx1...it is a very nice unit and is under $300.00 now. The avx-2 is .5" bigger and offers a center channel for surroung sound and is still inthe mid $300.00 range. Here's mine, it fill the opeing up nicely but is standard sized unit:

Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Im thinking maybe something slightly larger then that..

I think there is a moderator Phantomizer he has a pretty nice setup in his camaro. I would love to have a decent sized screen but im afraid as to where or how it will accept a CD/DVD..

Again Id like to try to get some MP3 and Videos maybe some pics on it too. TV would be a must for it.

I like the idea of the smaller screen so you know you wont have to do 800 different things and spend a bajillion dollars to get it to fit.

Any more ideas please let me know.

I might consider a unit like yours but as I said Id like to try and get a larger screen. something that fills the gap a lil more.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
Im thinking maybe something slightly larger then that..

I think there is a moderator Phantomizer he has a pretty nice setup in his camaro. I would love to have a decent sized screen but im afraid as to where or how it will accept a CD/DVD..

Again Id like to try to get some MP3 and Videos maybe some pics on it too. TV would be a must for it.

I like the idea of the smaller screen so you know you wont have to do 800 different things and spend a bajillion dollars to get it to fit.

Any more ideas please let me know.

I might consider a unit like yours but as I said Id like to try and get a larger screen. something that fills the gap a lil more.
For what its worth I spent 40 bucks tops on everything to custom make my bezel. The most expensive part was the simulated leather at 20 bucks. I bought 2 cans of bondo and I only needed 1 small one. I could have probably done everything for 25 bucks. If you want a bigger screen that what was shown earlier your going to need to start customizing what you already have. I strongly recommend the avic unit I installed, it fits very nicely. In my thread there is a guy whose JVC unit is too deep and doesn't fit nicely.

There is a Pioneer model that comes with a hard drive built in for your navigation maps and pictures,mp3's etc. I think it is the avic z1. I'll be putting one of the d3 units into my Firebird soon. If I do mine before you do yours, just watch for a thread so you can see if you want to do it or not.

At the end of the day, I wanted a unit that looked stock and did not tick out 5 feet from the dash. I didn't want something that just looked like it didn't belong. I'll help you with anything you need, just pm me or hit this thread.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

be glad you have a ta, you can fit a double din in there with very little cutting to the factory bezel. The camaro guys have to demonstrate some skill to get a double din in theirs.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by richieg
be glad you have a ta, you can fit a double din in there with very little cutting to the factory bezel. The camaro guys have to demonstrate some skill to get a double din in theirs.

That looks ok almost factory... any more info on how to do it? where does it accept CDs/DVDs at?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
For what its worth I spent 40 bucks tops on everything to custom make my bezel. The most expensive part was the simulated leather at 20 bucks. I bought 2 cans of bondo and I only needed 1 small one. I could have probably done everything for 25 bucks. If you want a bigger screen that what was shown earlier your going to need to start customizing what you already have. I strongly recommend the avic unit I installed, it fits very nicely. In my thread there is a guy whose JVC unit is too deep and doesn't fit nicely.

There is a Pioneer model that comes with a hard drive built in for your navigation maps and pictures,mp3's etc. I think it is the avic z1. I'll be putting one of the d3 units into my Firebird soon. If I do mine before you do yours, just watch for a thread so you can see if you want to do it or not.

At the end of the day, I wanted a unit that looked stock and did not tick out 5 feet from the dash. I didn't want something that just looked like it didn't belong. I'll help you with anything you need, just pm me or hit this thread.

Ill be watching.. I dont wanna go through a lot making it fit.. im trying to find pics of what people have installed so I know what HU I like the looks of most.. I do want something with a decent sized screen tho.. I might could live with messing with the trim bezzle but the sides and stuff I wont hack out.

BTW I mean I did do a crap load of searching but didnt find any really nice setups or pics. any help with finding a bunch of different setup pics and prices let me know.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
That looks ok almost factory... any more info on how to do it? where does it accept CDs/DVDs at?
Screen slides down and it feeds behind the screen. It's motorized.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

so all you did was cut the support out? and it fit/worked fine... how deep is it?

more specs? info? price?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cut the plastic cage out of the inside of the dash, cut the bezel, made a mounting cage using the stock mounting holes, filled the gaps on the side with some plastic with high-tech . . . well, I double sticky taped them to the mounting cage. The radio is the standard 6 1/2 inches deep. It is tight back there. I used right angle rca cables to get it in. But that's it. Cost. . scrap steel, dremel tool, a couple square inches of plastic, pretty cheap.