Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Poblem: sound from speaker randomly cuts in half...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Poblem: sound from speaker randomly cuts in half...

Just installed a new HU today, because I thought my old one was dying. Reason I thought the old one was dying was because whenever I moved the harness on the back a certain way, the sound from the front speaker(s) would cut in half about. After installing my new Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS, the problem still exists -- but not when I move the harness...just randomly on its own.

System consists of HU, front components, sub, mono amp and 2ch amp.

I'm going to try a better ground for the HU and maybe the 2ch amp. Any other ideas as I try this? I've had this issue for a little while now, and cannot seem to solve it no matter what wires I re-run or grounds I change.

I'm wondering if the amp is going bad.....but sometimes hitting the side of the console fixes the problem temporarily -- which makes me think the BCM might be related somehow. I'll try powering speakers off a HU later anyway... Also, I think this BCM problem may have developed when routing wires through the drivers side door. After routing through the door, whenever I open or close a door there is some random noise in the system (whenever you press that door sensor thing)....

Anyways, that's a lot of random information.. thanks for any info.

Last edited by fredmr39; 01-04-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

guess next logical step is to try powering components off of HU and see if problem is still there....just too lazy to do that now because its cold and since crossovers are buried and wires are most easily accessed at rear of car... hopefully warmer tomorrow
Old 01-04-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad rcas?. this whole noise and bcm thing i bet ur rcas are pickin it up somehow. speaker wire generally wont pick up noise, ive NEVER had it happen.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
bad rcas?. this whole noise and bcm thing i bet ur rcas are pickin it up somehow. speaker wire generally wont pick up noise, ive NEVER had it happen.
yea the noise was on both sides, so it would more likely be the RCAs...but I doubt they're picking anything up -- I think this problem may have vanished after the new HU was installed...but I am not sure.

Main problem is the intermittent playing of music at normal levels and randomly having the volume cut in half (approximately) out of the front amped speakers... which I think is caused by a failing amp.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new amp fixed it