Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's why I said "You also have to make sure your parking brake is properly adjusted and you use it all the time." The car will not move with a properly adjusted and engaged parking brake. A properly adjusted parking brake is strong enough to hold against the torque of an idling engine (try engaging the brake and letting out the clutch - the engine will stall) so a starter motor is certainly no match for it.

There are remote start kits that are designed specifically for manual transmissions. Those kits require a procedure when you shut off the car to ensure it is in neutral. For example, one requires you press a button on the remote, turn the ignition off (but the car stays running), get out of the car and use the remote to lock the doors (at which point the engine shuts off). There is no way you could get out of the car with the engine running unless it was in neutral so the system knows it will be safe to start with the remote starter.
are you talking about remote start systems with turbo timers?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i have extensive experience with scytek brand called galaxy. they make a model 5000-RS. one of that model is designed for manual trans and like it was said before a special procedure has to be done while shutting off the car so it can remote start at a later point. also, about the tach wire, the 5000-rs does not use a tach wire, it has a predetermined program and it has a RPM learn feature. i works very well, considering i currently have 4 cars with this exact model on it i should know. i have never heard the starter hang up, ever. their two way systems work well, i would personally say to spend the extra money on the color LCD pager bc the black and white pager seems to go through batteries like crazy and once they are dropped the screen doesn't show right. and whoever said that an alarm could boost the RPMs on a second remote start attempt is puzzling me.....i didn't know they were hooked to the throttle cable??????
Old 01-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad-Max
Do you know who makes these kind of kits? I've heard there are some kits out there but they do not work properly and not really worth the money.
There are manual transmission remote starter kits made by Scoche, Bulldog, Galaxy, Ultra Start, and DEI's AutoStart. I haven't seen enough of them installed to comment on their quality although I've never had problems with any DEI products.

Another option is an add-on module. DEI makes one that works with their various brands of remote start (Viper, Hornet, etc.) and PEI makes one that works with any brand that has a "stop and go" feature allowing you to leave the car running after removing the ignition key.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraz
are you talking about remote start systems with turbo timers?
Sorry, I don't know what you're asking.