Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Those familiar with Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS, please help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Those familiar with Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS, please help...

Alright - so I recently installed this HU, and the sound coming from my sub using the SUB pre-outs is VERY minimal (even when briefly turning the gain up entirely just to test of course). The sound coming from front pre-outs is perfectly fine. After trying each RCA pre-out for the sub (and making sure no filters were filtering below 80 Hz), I got the same results each time. When I put my old HU in to make sure that it isn't just my sub amp failing on me, everything sounds perfectly normal and the sub plays full volume.

I'm thinking either I may just not be familiar with this HU entirely, but here's what I've done: under the audio menu, there are three screens dealing with the subwoofer. One is a LPF, and I have that at 80 Hz (filter is off on the amp itself, also tried other amp filter settings to be sure), another screen allows the sub to be turned on/off, and when it's off there is zero sound from the sub, when it's on there is minimal sound. The other screen adjusts slope, which isn't important here.

---

The only problem with this HU I have ever read about is poorly grounded RCA internals. Could this be the problem?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the slope screen, if you press up or down, it should allow you to change the output of the sub preout, atleast thats how it works on the pioneers i have at work.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
on the slope screen, if you press up or down, it should allow you to change the output of the sub preout, atleast thats how it works on the pioneers i have at work.
I just reset the unit, reset all amp gains, made sure the sub pre-out was at the full level, let the HU do its AUTO EQ, turned on BBE (to 0), and somehow - and everything seems better now. Lets hope it stays that way ; )

Thanks for your response.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...did this problem happen when you 1st got the HU? Or did it occure ofter you had run Auto-EQ? Could be that the Auto-EQ shunted the low end like crazy since you may have had the sub-level too high.

Auto-EQ is a nice tool, but you have to pay attention to how you use it.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Problem happened before Auto EQ - after using Auto EQ it set my sub level down to -3.... which is strange because you could not hear it at all unless it was the ONLY thing playing. I set amp gains before Auto EQ using a DMM w/ test tone as I have in the past.

I also noticed BBE dramatically helped wuith the bass response as well. I'm still playing around with this -- not sure if I should or should not use it. It seems that if I want the normal response I had before, it must be on. So when I set gains I set it with BBE ON to zero (range is -4 to +4 - I know it should be off , but it does help with clarity as well at lower volumes....LOUDNESS is NOT on) and everything else flat/zero - then I used Auto EQ, then bumped the sub preout level up to full. EQ is flat.

If I set gains with BBE off, then turn it on after -- I was afraid of clipping because having it on or off made a dramatic difference in where my gain needed to be to output the voltage I was looking for. Going to play around more now....I'd rather NOT have BBE on.

Last edited by fredmr39; 01-08-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just saw this, was going to tell you to reset your HU, as more than likely it was just that.

I love my 880PRS. As far as BBE, I leave mine on for low level listening, as it REALLY livens up the music. When I turn it up is when I turn the BBE off.

When you set the gains you want ALL sound enhancements turned off, Auto EQ off and everything flat. Once you get the gains set then you can run Auto EQ and then play with it from there to tweak it to your liking (turn BBE on, change time allignment, etc).

Quick Reply: Those familiar with Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS, please help...