Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

cartridge eject, stock Delco changer

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question cartridge eject, stock Delco changer

Can anyone tell me what specifically causes the cartridge to eject when the door is opened? I bought one used and the cartridge will not eject with the door opened. Otherwise it functions properly. I'd like to try to fix it but I'd like to have some idea what to look for first.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Do you have it hooked up? Its an electronic mechanism, so it won't eject unless it has power. The orange lead in the harness should be the one that supplies 12V at all times to the unit.

When you eject, the mechanism retracts the trays first and then ejects the cartridge, so I'd assume there must use a solid state controller coupled with a door sensor/switch to perform the ejection.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, it's hooked up and everything is working except for the eject mechanism. I'll have to hook up a strap or something to get the cartridge out until I can diagnose the problem.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Even with a strap, you won't be able to get the cassette out if one of the trays is extended in to the player.

When you open the door, you should be able to hear the mechanism shuffle and retract the trays. If you don't hear the noise, the switch on the door is probably bad and isn't triggering the unit to retract and eject.

If you do hear the tray shuffling noise, you may have a problem with the solenoid that ejects the cassette - in which case a pull strap may work.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

i had the problem, the cartridge case has a crack on it which was sticking out enough to get hung up on the changer. i had to use a screwdriver to pry it out of the changer
Old 02-17-2008, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, the changer shuffles through all the discs and works fine. I had the changer apart after I first found out that the cartridge wouldn't eject, and I was able to pop it out from behind with a flat screwdriver. The spring-loaded "arm" at the bottom of the changer seemed to be working then as well. There just isn't any room to get anything at the face to pry it out without damaging the cartridge, so I think the strap might work as a temp fix.

Quick Reply: cartridge eject, stock Delco changer