Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2000 Firebird and add on remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Firebird and add on remote start

Ok guys... I'm new to installing remote starts though I've done around ten alarms. I'm trying to keep the factory alarm that came with this vehicle (2000 Firebird) and add on a remote start system (ULTRA START U1155). I have done alot of reading and I have come to the understanding that this a a VATS vehicle. So when installing this add on RS, can I just use a resistor? And if so someone give me an idea of where the resistor would go. Also, I know I will be using the door unlock (passenger side) as a trigger, so I can hit the remote unlock button twice and the RS system will engage. (I know this signal is a positive and so I will use a relay to make it negative). I guess my main question right now is if I can use the resistor or if I should splurge for the bypass module. (money is an issue).

Also, if anyone has done this before, can you give me a heads up on anything else I should be aware of beside just the standard wiring?

Thanks
Kyle
Old 02-17-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go a google for bfranker z28 and look at his alarm info talks about alot of stuff. also you can just use a resistor and bypass vats allthoghter, its a harness under steering column
Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You might not want to use the "extra channel" created by the progressive door lock mod for a couple of reasons.

First, it means that you will be remote starting the car when it's unlocked. Granted, there will be no key in the ignition and the car will shut off if anyone tries to drive it away without the key (assuming proper installation) but it still leaves your car open for anyone to get in and steal stuff.

Second, the same pulse generated by the second press of the unlock button on the remote is also generated when you press the unlock switch on the door. You wouldn't want your remote starter activated while driving by accidently pressing the unlock button. My wife has done that a few times when she wanted the window down switch.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whitebird00.... That's something that didn't even cross my mind! I was going to use the one of the R/S's output channels to re-lock the doors after the start but I never thought about the unlock button. I guess I will use the lock button and just the 3 pulse activation. Thanks for the heads up.

Any other ideas for this?

Quick Reply: 2000 Firebird and add on remote start