Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No sound from tweeters in sail panels.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No sound from tweeters in sail panels.

I am sorry but I am new to all of this speaker stuff. My car is a 1999 Trans-Am and it has a pioneer aftermarket head unit. I replaced the speakers in the rear hatch area with some alpine 4" and the tweeters. They sound great. I go to replace the speakers in the sail panels because they are blown and all I get is bass and no sound from my tweeters. The speakers I bought are Alpine SPS-17C2 6.5 coaxail 2 way speakers. I ordered the same pair for the front also but have not installed them yet. There are 4 wires from the factory plug and my speaker only has 2 wires. What is the best way to get sound out of the tweeters in my 6.5's.

Please help, thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would have been better off reading the stickies before you bought the speakers! The Monsoon amp only puts bass to the sails. The stock speakers there are subwoofer/midwoofers. Putting a coaxial powered by the stock amp in that location is useless. If you want full range sound from that location you would need to tap into the hatch speakers. There are other options as well but that would be the quickest, cheapest and easiest.
To wire the doors you have to find the tweeter wires on the rear of the Alpines you bought and cut them leaving enough room to splice into them. Then splice them into the stock tweeter wires. Hook the other pair of wires to the regular leads on your new speaker.
Why did you buy coaxials for a Trans Am that has components? If you'd bought components this process would have been a little easier and sounded better. That's one of the advantages of the Firebird Monsoon over the Camaro...it has comps in the doors already.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you very much, one of those lessons that I learned. If I by any more speakers for my car I will definitely be buying from you. Thanks again for the advice.