Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Any way to make a kill switch work with a remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any way to make a kill switch work with a remote start?

I did a search and came up with nothing. Has anyone come up with a way to make a remote car starter work on a vehicle with a kill switch and have both be functional? I know there's posters on here who have a lot more wiring knowledge than me, so I was wondering if there have been any genius ideas presented in the past.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

im not sure whatyour trying to do. Remote start systems from DEI all have built in starter kill systems. Remote start systems require you to cut the starter wire in half and run both leads to separate inputs that the brain controls.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no reason u couldnt have both
Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

I don't think kill switch is a good name for it, but that's the only thing I've heard it called. What I'm talking about is a hidden switch that prevents the vehicle from starting (as opposed to one that shuts it off when it's already running). Like the fuel line kill switch mod. You have a switch hidden in your car that cuts off power to the fuel filter so it can't start until you flip the switch and close the circuit. I'm wondering if there's any way to have this security feature in addition to a remote start.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

All you have to do is make sure the manual kill switch is in the starter circuit before the remote starter connection. IOW, the remote starter would bypass the kill switch.

For that matter, you could just eliminate the ability of the ignition key to start the car. Make it so only the remote would start the car. Then, even if you're starting from within the car, you would insert the ignition key but use the remote to start the car. That should make it nearly impossible to hotwire the car. Just make sure you have a spare battery for the remote so you don't get stuck someplace.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Teching In

This is brilliant. Do you think it would be possible to wire in a biometric fingerprint recognition device in place of the ignition and then use the remote start? Nevermind that sounds like a pain in the *** to me now.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:05 PM
DGraboyes

the fingerprint thing would work awesome but youd need something to act as a switch with a heavy enough relay to make the starter work

Quick Reply: Any way to make a kill switch work with a remote start?