Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New kicker woofer for sail panel!! #CVT65

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i am thoroughly confused now. there are two 4 ohm voicecoils on the left and two 4 ohm voicecoils on the right, each with its own channel at the amp. so what do i do if i put in a single 4 ohm voicecoil upgrade speaker on the left and a single 4 ohm voicecoil upgrade speaker? which channel on the left do i use and which channel on the right do i use? or can both left channels positives be connected to the positive on the upgrade speaker on the left and both left channel negatives be connected to the negative on the upgrade speaker on the left, and do the same thing with respect to the right side?
Old 03-29-2008, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have these installed in my 2000 Formula and they sound great. They have enough bass to rattle your hatch if you ever needed to. They sound great with rock, metal, and country. It really is a perfect blend of bass and sounds quality.

I wired them up by splicing the two power wires together and the two ground wires together.

They fit perfectly. You will need to drill a couple of new holes to hold them in, but nothing major.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would these work for replacing the 2 ohm SVC 6.5's in the Firebirds doors?

Mike
Old 03-29-2008, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

i have 2 solobaric L7's with a camaro 98-02 probox that fills up the t top area..they are 12's and 4ohm each

400 bucks pickup in waco tx or 450 shipped anywhere.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H/C/I Stang
I have these installed in my 2000 Formula and they sound great. They have enough bass to rattle your hatch if you ever needed to. They sound great with rock, metal, and country. It really is a perfect blend of bass and sounds quality.

I wired them up by splicing the two power wires together and the two ground wires together.

They fit perfectly. You will need to drill a couple of new holes to hold them in, but nothing major.
Which set of speakers are you talking about here?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by H/C/I Stang

and you've been able to roll like this for a while w/ no problems? thats what i've been trying to figure out if it was cool to do that way or not. thanx.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Which set of speakers are you talking about here?
Sorry. They are the 2 ohm models.
Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
and you've been able to roll like this for a while w/ no problems? thats what i've been trying to figure out if it was cool to do that way or not. thanx.
Yes. None whatsoever. It sounds PERFECT with the other speaker upgrades I did.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

sweet. that's what I was hoping to hear.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm a big fan of kicker products... so this is great... however i'm still a little confused as to whether or not they will work on my car...

'99 WS6 w/monsoon

I need to replace the rear seat subs... they are blown. I have yet to take them out and don't know what OHM they are... Can I just pick up a pair of these kickers and it's a direct replacement?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 9formula4
Now running the 2 ohm single VC set in a trans am IS NOT going to hurt the amp. As long as your running it in the OEM configuration (one speaker to each channel) and not trying to bridge the amp the 2 ohm impedeance is only going to pull a little more power out of the stock amp. The only question that may need answered is, how long will the amp last. I would not be scared to run either version myself.
That's a big question - not long! The Firebird Monsoon amp is NOT 2-ohm stable on the sail panel sub channels. Using 2-ohm speakers there at high volume will let all the smoke out of the amp. When electronic devices release all their smoke they don't work anymore.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I'm a big fan of kicker products... so this is great... however i'm still a little confused as to whether or not they will work on my car...

'99 WS6 w/monsoon

I need to replace the rear seat subs... they are blown. I have yet to take them out and don't know what OHM they are... Can I just pick up a pair of these kickers and it's a direct replacement?
Nobody except GM makes a direct drop-in replacement for the sail panel subs in a Firebird. There are 4-ohm DVC subs from Elemental Designs and Bazooka that will wire up the same as stock but they are deeper and require spacers to mount properly. There are a variety of 4-ohm SVC subs you could use but you have to leave one of the two channels on each side disconnected. This is not as much of a problem as it might sound - as long as you don't buy cheap junk your replacements will have better efficiency than stock and you won't lose any volume.

Those Kickers are a good choice for Camaros but DO NOT use them in the sail panels of a Firebird! The CVT65 model is also available in a 4-ohm version that would work well in a Firebird.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

So what about the guy with the firebird who posted above saying he wired the dual amp channels in parallel to his 2 ohm subs, and it sounds great? If I understand him, he says that for the drivers side sub, he hooked red1 to red2 to speaker positive, and black1 to black2 to speaker negative. And he did the same thing on the passenger side. I've heard this wont work, but he says it works great. What gives?
Old 03-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

He didn't say they were 2-ohm subs - he just said "I installed these" and I assumed he connected both channels to the single voice coil of one of the 4-ohm subs mentioned earlier. That won't cause any damage although it certainly isn't necessary. If he did use 2-ohm subs then he's just lucky that he doesn't have a molten puddle where the amp used to be - and luck can only overcome stupidity for a limited time.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Johns98TA
So what about the guy with the firebird who posted above saying he wired the dual amp channels in parallel to his 2 ohm subs, and it sounds great? If I understand him, he says that for the drivers side sub, he hooked red1 to red2 to speaker positive, and black1 to black2 to speaker negative. And he did the same thing on the passenger side. I've heard this wont work, but he says it works great. What gives?
That is what I did and it DOES work great.

The subs in my sail panels are in fact the 2-ohm models. And no, I have NOT had a single problem with them. They DO sound great and they do EXACTLY what I purchased them for.

I haven't cranked them to max levels, nor do I ever plan on doing it in order to preserve my hearing.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Which ones are the sail panels?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Hatchetman337
Which ones are the sail panels?
The ones next to the rear seats.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

I just ordered a set of these for my sails in my z/28. Figured that I would give them a try. I also ordered my new head unit as well. Gonna see how much difference the aftermarket head unit makes over the stocker when it comes to sound/quality.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mikes02Z28
I just ordered a set of these for my sails in my z/28. Figured that I would give them a try. I also ordered my new head unit as well. Gonna see how much difference the aftermarket head unit makes over the stocker when it comes to sound/quality.
let us know how they sound in this thread plz...
Old 04-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Launching!

i put a pair of memphis audio in my ta for i think 150 installed. best 6 1/2 memphis had to offer too. sounded great with a lifetime warranty
Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mikes02Z28

considering purchasing these as well.. Keep us updated as to how it sounds

Quick Reply: New kicker woofer for sail panel!! #CVT65