Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HID wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID wiring question

I have HID conversions for my headlights and foglights. I can run the headlights no problem, but when I try to run the foglights I get a bad voltage drop and I blow out the power accessory fuse.

Would the best way to solve this problem by using a relay wired directly to the battery and using the original fog light switch? Or what would be the best way, I'm not sure what would be the best way to go. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Would the best way to solve this problem by using a relay wired directly to the battery and using the original fog light switch?
Yup, that's never a bad idea.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I'd double check your wiring. Properly wired foglights shouldn't cause a significant voltage drop or blow fuses. Adding a relay probably won't prevent the voltage drop and may just mask the symptoms of a bigger problem. Relays are used to control a high-power circuit with a low-power one - they don't do anything to change the amount of power draw.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, ok. Well maybe I have a bad ballast or something. The wiring is pretty straight forward its just a plug and play unit. When they are on the draw is fine. It is the initial lighting of the bulbs that causes the problem. When I am driving and flip them on they are fine. But when sitting at idle, I fire them up and there is that initial power draw which causes the voltage drop, but then it comes back once the bulbs are warmed up. I read somewhere that the initial lighting of the bulbs can be a significant draw on the charging system and it suggested a relay to remedy the problem.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

A relay won't change the amount of current draw when the bulbs are warming up. Besides, if it's a plug-and-play setup that connects to the factory foglight setup then there is already a relay for the foglights and the power accessory fuse isn't involved in the circuit at all. The factory foglights are powered through the foglight relay from the TAIL LPS fuse.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks. Guess I'll have to run through the wiring and check it out.