Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Two questions: Sub/amp compatibility, question about stock speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008 | 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

Default Two questions: Sub/amp compatibility, question about stock speakers

I have a 10" P1 Punch mounted in a stealth box I made myself and I have a Sony Xplod 600W laying around. Will this work/ not blow out the sub?

I was at Circuit city the other day looking at speakers for the doors/rear seat and a guy that works there said that if it was a factory Bose system, they would have to do a complete rewire of the car for it to work. Is this true? I am currently running an Alpine head unit.
Old 02-25-2008 | 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Mac93
I was at Circuit city the other day looking at speakers for the doors/rear seat and a guy that works there said that if it was a factory Bose system, they would have to do a complete rewire of the car for it to work. Is this true? I am currently running an Alpine head unit.
Yes, it's true but it doesn't affect you. The Monsoon system used in 97+ f-bodies is completely different from the Bose system used in earlier Camaros. However, there are things to watch out for when replacing Monsoon system speakers if you're keeping the factory amp. For example, the sail panel speakers are subs and only get low frequency signal from the amp so you can't put full-range speakers there without making some changes. There is more information in the Monsoon FAQ thread.