Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn Signals:

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signals:

family member wants to know how can she tell which turn signal bulb is out? When she turns on the flasher they all light up but don't flash. I told her it must be a bad bulb. But how to tell without checking every last one?
It's a 99 Firebird.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Turn Signals:

do they flash with the turn signals, just not the flashers?

There are 2 flasher units under the dash, check those first.

a bad bulb (should) cause them to flash fast.

Ryan
Old 07-21-2003, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

A non-blinking or fast-blinking turn signal (or hazard) is a signal from the flasher that a bulb is burnt out.

Fast-blinking = front bulb burnt out
Non-blinking = rear bulb burnt out

Of course there is always the possibility of a non-blinking one being a burnt up flasher like slow said, but it's usually a bulb.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Wrong guys. I had a front bulb burnt out on the passenger side. The signal did not blink when I put it on for a right turn. It stayed solid indicating the front was out on that side.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

do they flash with the turn signals, just not the flashers?

There are 2 flasher units under the dash, check those first.

a bad bulb (should) cause them to flash fast.

Ryan

No, they don't flash with the turn signals they just stay on. They do however flash with the hazzards. Where under the dash are the flasher units? I thought about that but I didn't think f-bods had them since they're not attached to the fuse boxes like other cars.

Thnx.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

No, they don't flash with the turn signals they just stay on. They do however flash with the hazzards. Where under the dash are the flasher units? I thought about that but I didn't think f-bods had them since they're not attached to the fuse boxes like other cars.
Ok, in that case it's you turn signal flasher.
It is located behind the panel that's below the steering column, about a foot to the right of the steering column. The hazard flasher is a foot to the left.
They're hanging on clips and are kinda hidden, all you really see is the clip, but reach behind, and you'll grab the flasher.

If you want, you can change the flashers out with electronic flashers. Electronic flashers will work fine with regular bulbs, but are what you need should you ever decide to switch to LED bulbs. EL12 is the flasher part number you need, and they're about $8 each at AutoZone.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:41 AM
Teching In

It's probably a front bulb or socket. The daytime running lights on my TA have expanded the sockets from the heat. A front or rear filament will cause the lights to come on on the dash but not flash. Try the front bulbs first. I have had to start soldering staples to the contacts on the bulbs for the front to make contact.