Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

GPS for laptops

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GPS for laptops

What other up to date and accurate programs are out there for laptops and travelling, besides Microsoft Streets & Trips? Have GPS functions aswell of course.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=laptop+GPS
Old 03-08-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sigh, ya, like I didnt try that before posting....

The results are mostly GPS receivers, I already have a GPS receiver for my laptop, hence now wanting some sort of software, and by posting here, I was hoping to have replies from people who have opinions on ones they have or have used.

But thanks for that, if you werent trying to be insulting.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That wasn't meant to be insulting but if you needed more information maybe you should have said what you meant in the first place. In your first post you made no mention of already having a GPS receiver nor did you mention anything about wanting opinions on current products. You asked for:
" What other up to date and accurate programs are out there for laptops and travelling, besides Microsoft Streets & Trips? Have GPS functions as well of course"

and I answered your question to what you asked. There are no mind readers here. The more information given the more accurate the response will be. Again...no insults implied or intended!
There literally dozens of GPS software programs for laptops available. I'm sure some are better than others. Most guys really like the Garmin Nuvi systems and they have software available for laptops as well. I believe it is called the Garmin Mobile PC and is available without the sensor and receiver since you already have one. The software can be purchased by itself on DVD.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The Garmin software is likely the best for ease of use and accuracy. Much as I hate Microsoft, I must say their Streets and Trips program is the next best. I have also used Rand-McNally and one other brand I can't remember and they both suck.