Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

keyless entry distance

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends what's around. At work, in sight of my car, surrounded by other cars, I can't open my door unless I'm practically right on it.

If it's alone in a parking lot, I can definitely set it off from further away. Sometimes I'm amazed how far away it works. I just wish it was more reliable as far as distance goes... not that it'll help me get in the car quicker unlocking it from 100ft as opposed to 10ft...
Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady_Bird
holy crap! im trying that.
i guess its kinda like how onstar does it?
Read posts 14-18 before you waste your time.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Not sarcasm. Give it a try. It works on some vehicles but not on all. Even works on late model fords and dodge trucks from what I've tried. Just gotta place the cell phone in the correct spot.
o he is right it works no bs

but mine dont work good either
Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28berryhill
o he is right it works no bs
ok...you're going to have to elaborate a little more than that if you are going to argue rumor vs. facts
Old 03-24-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

well it was a 2002 for f150 and we tried it with sprint cell phones about 600 yards away

works but idk if ford is diff frequency
Old 03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by z28berryhill
well it was a 2002 for f150 and we tried it with sprint cell phones about 600 yards away

works but idk if ford is diff frequency
Sorry man, the remote alone must have been able to work from that distance (without the cell phone). There is no way the cell phone unlocked the car. Check the Urban Legends Reference website at www.snopes.com.

Some people say that deer whistles work because they've never hit a deer. Well, my UFO whistles must work because I've never been abducted by aliens. You can believe what you want but I'd rather stick with the science.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive tried the keyfob to the chin technique a few times, and i always feel like an idiot while doing it..

the range on our fobs suck major dong.

OFF TOPIC: i also hate having a separate key for the door and ignition
Old 03-25-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by presto_z
OFF TOPIC: i also hate having a separate key for the door and ignition
What? Really? Is it THAT much of an inconvenience? You have a remote -- why not just use that and keep the door key somewhere else? Make a door key copy, hide it under your car somewhere, and keep your original key at home. That way if your remote entry doesn't work, you'll always have the spare. Then you have less keys if that's what you hate.

I do kind of the same thing. I always lock my HU in the glove box, but whenever I get in my car I start it forgetting to unlock the glove box then it's annoying to have to remove the key to open it (either take it off the ring or stop and restart car which I don't want to do) -- so because of that, I keep a key hidden under the car and one hidden inside the car as well.

Having a separate door and ignition key is nice tho... can store a door key under your car without worrying about it driving away - can give someone just the door key to grab something.....etc
Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

it happens to me everywhere i go... i practically have to be on top of my car to get it to unlock....

yes, i have done the chin thing and yes it works....but there has got to be a way to fix it
Old 03-26-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fredmr39
What? Really? Is it THAT much of an inconvenience? You have a remote -- why not just use that and keep the door key somewhere else?
well in that case. why not unlock your car from 10ft away with your remote? you have to walk up to it anyways to drive it, so why not wait?

i prefer to have as little as possible on my car keyring. right now its just my 2 keys and the fob. im not going to take it off and put it under my car. im in florida and i always have the t-tops out, and whenever they are on the car they are locked. GM should have made 1 key for the entire car like every other manufacturer since 1990.

sorry for the off topic ramble.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

...GM should have made 1 key for the entire car like every other manufacturer since 1990.
But if they did that then they wouldn't have been able to use all those old parts they had lying around - like the old style VATS and ignition switch not to mention the clunky turn signal switch.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

well in that case. why not unlock your car from 10ft away with your remote? you have to walk up to it anyways to drive it, so why not wait?

i prefer to have as little as possible on my car keyring. right now its just my 2 keys and the fob. im not going to take it off and put it under my car. im in florida and i always have the t-tops out, and whenever they are on the car they are locked. GM should have made 1 key for the entire car like every other manufacturer since 1990.

sorry for the off topic ramble.
Not sure what your first sentence means.... that's what I said - hide the door key in your car somewhere (under a floor mat, under the rear drivers side passenger seat if you just lift that up, etc) and a copy of one underneath. You'll have one inside for easy access to open glove box or remove t-tops and one underneath in case your fob ever fails to unlock the door remotely.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

in my last comment i clearly stated i am not putting a key under my car. thats how my moms truck was broken into a few months back, and the insurance would not cover the stuff since the key was "left in easy access"

i would not have to hide any keys if GM used a single key setup like every other car manufacturer.

and as for the first sentence of my last comment i was using your logic of "Is it THAT much of an inconvenience?"
you have to walk up to it in order to drive it anyways, so why not hit the button when you are a few feet away from the car?

i am not disagreeing that it would be nice, i am just applying your logic to the topics being discussed

well anyways back on topic
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

you have to walk up to it in order to drive it anyways, so why not hit the button when you are a few feet away from the car?
I still have no idea what the hell you are saying here... what does this have to do with inconvenience of 2 keys? Where did I say anything about using the remote from 50 feet away?

---

It's very easy to hide a spare under the car where nobody can easily find it.... yea, right under the door is a bad idea. Zip ties give you many more possibilities. Whatever, that's not the point.

Anyways....no point in continuing this. We've each made our points. Not saying I love having 2 keys, just saying that there are clearly ways around it if it's that much of a problem for you.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I tried the cell phone thing, didn't work lol
Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by fredmr39
I still have no idea what the hell you are saying here... what does this have to do with inconvenience of 2 keys? Where did I say anything about using the remote from 50 feet away?
I think he was refering to the whole premise of the thread - that the short range of the remote is inconvenient. His point is that he doesn't want to hide a key on the car and also doesn't find the OP's concern about the range to be a problem either.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

WELL IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIX IT??

Where is the receiver located at in the car?

Maybe we should all pull a dukes of hazard and put a huge antenna on our deck lids and hook our keyless entry receiver to it
Old 03-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The receiver is built in to the BCM and has no external antenna.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I think he was refering to the whole premise of the thread - that the short range of the remote is inconvenient. His point is that he doesn't want to hide a key on the car and also doesn't find the OP's concern about the range to be a problem either.
That's what I thought...but didn't make sense to me since I was quoted when he said that to me and I was never arguing distance or anything... maybe he thought I was OP? oh well

Old 03-27-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The receiver is built in to the BCM and has no external antenna.
well thats gay.. I was ready to go all dukes of hazard