Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird interference with wired modulator... (tick, tick, tick)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Weird interference with wired modulator... (tick, tick, tick)

Today I tried to install a wired FM modulator on my trans am... I decided to try the easy way first, so I installed it replacing my power antenna. Since it connects to the antenna feed I figured I would just install in the spare tire compartment, ground it, add some current (using the antenna's pink wire, so it's only powered when the radio is on) and I would be done... everything went smoothly until I notice the music has a weird ticking interference. Instead of a hissss, it sounds like a TICK, TICK, TICK... I tried getting power from other sources (from the alarm's movement sensor for example) but I got the same result. The ticking is there even if the car is off, with the ipod disconnected and with the RCA cables disconnected. The power antenna is completely disconnected.

Any idea why it's ticking? I can get a video if it helps...

This is the modulator I'm using:

I was using it on my camaro before with no interference problems...
Old 04-05-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed an XM radio with the FM modulator and had the same problem. Best Buy said it was normal - lol
Old 04-05-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy had the audiovox fm modulator circuit city sells wired in right behind his factory monsoon headunit on 00 ss no noise at all