Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help-Speedometer, tach and radio don't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Help-Speedometer, tach and radio don't work

What could be the problem if my speedometer, tachometer,odometer dont work-The needles dont move at all and the odometer does not light up or show anything? All of the other gauges light up. Although the battery, water temp and fuel gauge do work. The radio does not turn on either and the power window switch and door lock switch does not work. Also my turn signals are acting up. it signals to the left really slow and when signaling right it just stays on. I checked the fuses in the engine bay. Are there any more elasewhere? what else could it be? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think theres fuses anywhere else, but i havnt looked. check the owners manual.

first off, did you do any work to the car (related or not to this issue) proceeding this issue? if so, then check that area, sounds like it could be a loose ground connection.

also, check all related light bulbs. a burned out turn signal bulb could cause some of these issues. Also check the relays, a bad turn signal relay could be a cause.

electrical problems can get kinda frustrating.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Check the GAUGES fuse in the fuse panel on the left end of the dash. Also, check the COURTESY fuse there as well - it powers the BCM which manages the retained accessory power devices (radio, power windows, power locks).

There are no turn signal relays. If you have one side not flashing then you have a burned out bulb or corroded socket on that side. Turn on the hazard flashers and walk around the car to check for the bulb that's not working.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

^^^^ Whitebird, you my man are a genius!! I checked the fuses on the side of the dash driver's side and what do you know-I found a blown fuse. Put another one and Voila, everything works again. You deserve a 12 pack of brews! Thanks man.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same problem minus the turn signals and windows and locks. I had already checked the fuses because I figured this was the problem. There were a few out so I replaced them and everything was fixed except the tach, speedo, mileage, radio, and hatch release. I changed the gauges fuse and it did nothing. I had just put in an amp but had not hooked up the power yet when this problem started. I had to go to work and had not gotten the amp completely wired. I had everything but the power wire and one of the grounds (there are 2 on my amp). What could be causing this problem to be still occuring since I have already changed the fuse. Thanks.

Last edited by camaro_fanatic2003; 06-19-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I figured out my problem. It was fuse # 7. I didn't know what it was so I didn't check it. One of the mechanics at my dad's work said to check it and that was my problem. Works perfect now.

Quick Reply: Help-Speedometer, tach and radio don't work