Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where to run wires to trunk in convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008 | 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Default Where to run wires to trunk in convertible?

I'm trying to install a reverse camera in my 2000 SS convertible.

So far I have the camera installed on the license plate frame, and I was able to fish the wire in behind the back bumper, and it comes out underneath the car.

There are two grommets underneath the trunk, so I just ran the wire up through one of them because I didn't really want to drills any holes. It sucks having that wire dangling under there, but you can't really see it and it is tight up to the bottom of the car so it should be safe. (I guess)

Anyway, now I have RCA dongle and the power wires sitting in the trunk waiting to be connected to my head unit's brain, which is under the passenger front seat.

Trouble is I can't figure out how to get the wires into the inside of the car from the trunk.

Is there a place I can fish them through? Not really seeing where this should be done.

help!
Old 05-21-2008 | 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Come on, someone has to know how to get wires in and out of the trunk. ???

I'm assuming it is simple and I probably just couldn't tell because I had the top down at the time. I will try it again tonight with the top up.
Old 05-21-2008 | 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I haven't worked on an f-body convertible but on other convertibles I found you could remove the rear seat back to gain access to running wires under the trim along the sides of the car.
Old 05-21-2008 | 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jeffbab
Come on, someone has to know how to get wires in and out of the trunk. ???

I'm assuming it is simple and I probably just couldn't tell because I had the top down at the time. I will try it again tonight with the top up.

Hmm, I thought I posted how I did it this morning, wonder where the post went?

I ran the wires via the passenger side spare tire well, under the carpet flap, out behind the side panel, then out the bottom down into the passenger compartment, pulled the carpet back enough to run them along the outside edge of the passenger side of the compartment, across the firewall behind the carpet and out right below the deck.

If you remove the separator panel for the trunk to interior it's a cake walk to run the wires I thought. And all it takes is two quick release plastic ***** for the panel. I thought it was one of the easiset cars I have ever run wires in.

Didn't need to remove any seats, pull any carpet up, etc...