Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Brand new battery is draining after sitting. . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new battery is draining after sitting. . .

I have a 1996 Z and I just put a brand new battery in it in April and it was fine, I put it in the garage for 4 days and it wouldnt start. My concern is that the clock stays on on the radio even when the car is off the whole time. Anyone have any ideas why it is draining, why the clock stays on, or if these are related at all? The clock started staying on when I put the new battery in the car. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:23 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I doubt that it's your radio as the keep alive current for the clock is probably less that 1 mA (1/1000 of an amp). I suggest that you recharge the battery and put an ammeter in series with the negative terminal of the battery and the negative battery cable (disconnect the battery first of course). Then you can see how much current is being drawn from the battery and begin pulling and replacing fuses to see if you can track down the culprit. The current draw should drop significantly when you pull the correct fuse. You may have a bare (or more than likely partially bare) wire that may be rubbing against the car's sheet metal or some kind of device that's always hot (like the courtesy light circuit) that is drawing a small amount of current.

Steve
Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Default draining battery

Another thing that will drain the battery is a shorted diode in the alternator or an improperly installed electronic component. Added any electronics lately? Shorted jumper cables together while jump starting? Disconnect any new electronics and disconnect the positive wire from the back of the alternator and see if it still drains.